1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GPU Priority

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Keith_Whi, 28 Jun 2009.

1. Keith_Whi

Keith_Whi What's a Dremel?

Can anyone tell me how to keep my GPU client at High priority when using VM and 2x SMP clients?

I set the SMP clients to low priority and the GPU to high but everytime the GPU finishes a WU it resets to low which cripples it's PPD.

TIA.

2. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

You want prifinity to be able to do this.

1. Use task manager to set the process FAHcore_11.exe or FAHcore_14.exe to "realtime" and only core 0 of your CPU in affinity settings.

2. Install and open up prifinitty and add the fahcore_11 or FAHcore_14 process to the favourites list.

3. In prifinity, tick auto set, tick enforce, go into options and tick "start with windows", "auto set on start" and "minimize to tray on start" and then close prifinity again.

You can also add "vmware-vmx" from your VM to the favs list in prifinity and set it to "low" priority if you want. Each time you start any of those processes, they will be auto set and enforced to the priority and affinity settings you entered. It should have your clients whizzing along in no time ;)

3. Keith_Whi

Keith_Whi What's a Dremel?

Nice 1 Uni,

I'll let you know if I have any probs.

:rock:

4. VinnyVortex

VinnyVortex Back in the game!

Just reading up on some threads and came across this. I do everything you suggest Uni but for the "vmware-vmx" processes I have to use task manager because they don't show up in Prifinity, only the "Vmplayer" files show, Is this true for you as well?

5. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

What OS are you using mate? If its Vista then the vmware-vmx doesn't show up at all, it will only appear if you are using XP or server 2003 I found! :)

6. VinnyVortex

VinnyVortex Back in the game!

Hey Coola, congrats on folder of the month BTW :clap:
    I use Vista 64 for one of my rigs (gaming mostly) but my other two dedicated folding rigs use XP Pro 64 and the "Vmware-vmx" doesn't show up on PriFinity list either??!?
    The only ones I see are: Vmnat , Vmnetdhcp , Vmware-authd , and Vmplayer in the file list :wallbash:

7. coolamasta

Thanks mate :thumb:

Thats a pain then looks like it doesn't fully work on x64 bit OS's as it didn't see the vmware-vmx's on vista x64 that I was running but is fine on XP x86 and 2003 enterprise.
    Never folded on x86 vista so dunno about that.

I even tried adding it manually but it didnt want to play so gave up, is a shame as its a very handy little program that, the developer needs to make it 64 bit friendly! :(

8. Unicorn

Sorry for not replying earlier Vinny, I've been "absent" from the forums for a cpl of weeks now - good luck with the comeback by the way :thumb:

I think as coolamasta says (respect for FotM dude!) it's a problem with X64 OS's running the vmware virtual folding application. I'm trying to get my head around why exactly this is happening to see if there is a solution for you but so far i haven't found anything.

Let me have a think about it and see if I can come up with something, there's gotta be a way around a small niggle like that.

9. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

I've been setting the vm priority to low using Task Manager which holds until a reboot. It would be great if you manage to figure out a fix for this Uni.

ps Glad you're not dead ;)

10. Unicorn

Me too! :D

I'll get a good look at the VMware config files (.vmx files) for the folding app tonight and see what I can come up with :)

11. coolamasta

Cheers Uni :thumb:
    I did mess with it for a while but I just can not get the vmware.vmx to appear in prifinity.
    I tried the usual obvious things like running prifinity 'as administrator' etc but no joy.

It must be a 64-bit issue, the app is just not 64 bit friendly, there are loads of other processes missing in prifinity that show in task manager on x64 Vista...

Really hope you do find a solution though mate :thumb: