1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compiling FahMon troubles

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Lizard, 12 Aug 2009.

1. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Can any Linux gurus please help to install/compile FahMon on an OpenSuse 11.1 rig I've built in the lab? The last time I compiled anything in Linux was about 5 years and I've completely forgotten the pain and misery it can be.

2. JackOfAll

JackOfAll What's a Dremel?

Extract tar, './configure', 'make', 'make install' should get it built and installed under /usr/local. Don't know how deps work on SuSe, but you'll need to have libcurl and wxGTK widget libs (and headers) installed for it to build.

3. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Thanks for the help, but unfortunately I can't get it working.

'./configure' runs from the terminal but after scanning for load of languages says:

checking for C++ compiler default output file name...
    configure: error: C++ compiler cannot create executables

Even though that didn't appear to work, I tried running 'make' next but its complaining that:

bash: make: command not found

Sorry for asking so many questions, I haven't used a Linux distro on a daily basis for years.

4. JackOfAll

Sounds like the gcc c++ compiler is not installed. What does SuSe use for package management, yast and rpm? Do you have a development environment installed? Do you have a group install option with the yast package manager, something akin to "Development Tools"?

You need make, compiler, linker, libs, headers. ie. a complete development environment installed before you try building.

5. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Yes, Suse is using yast and rpm. I just loaded up the Package Manager in the yast control panel and it started automatically downloading tons of files.

Edit, according to the above I can download a gcc compiler from the Suse public library, I'm guessing that's the sort of thing I need, though it doesn't say whether its 32-bit or 64-bit.

6. JackOfAll

I assume if it's pulling down files that they are updates to the packages you already have installed.

I know absolutely nothing about yast, but I assume it's package management module must be able to show you groups of software as well as individual packages. ie. desktop, development. Is there an option to install by group, ie. development environment, or do you need to install package by package?

7. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Yes, there is a group list, although the closest I could see to 'development' is 'programming' which is where I found the gcc compiler mentioned in my previous post. Its downloaded now but doesn't appear to have made any difference.

8. JackOfAll

As I said before, I don't know anything about yast, but is there a g++ (or c++) compiler in that list? You need that.

9. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

There is a gccompiler in the list, which did download and claim to install successfully but ./configure is still complaining about a lack of gcc support while make is still an unrecognised command.

10. JackOfAll

Isn't there a 'make' package in the list? Likewise, there should be a 'c++' or 'g++' compiler in the list. Can you search the package descriptions?

11. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Cheers, I've got make installed now, but its throwing up the following:

linux-kszs:/home/lizard/Desktop/FahMon-2.3.99.1 # make
    make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
    linux-kszs:/home/lizard/Desktop/FahMon-2.3.99.1 # make install
    make: *** No rule to make target `install'. Stop.
    linux-kszs:/home/lizard/Desktop/FahMon-2.3.99.1 #

Presumably because ./configure is still complaining about the lack of gcc compiler (despite downloading one).

12. JackOfAll

Well, there's a difference between the C (only) compiler and the C++ compiler - Fahmon is written in C++. You still need to find the C++ compiler which is probably a gcc subpackage or a package with c++ or g++ in the package name.

Have you searched for g++ or c++ in the package manager? Try 'gcc-c++' as the package name.

I can't help thinking it would've been quicker to install Fedora 11 and me give you a link to the pre-built Fahmon package. ;)

13. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Ah, making real progress now, got a second c++ compiler installed and its working although it also needed a libcurl to work. Just need to get around the following, which sounds like i need to compile wxWidgets first:

wxWidgets must be installed on your system.

Please check that wx-config is in path, the directory
    where wxWidgets libraries are installed (returned by
    'wx-config --libs' or 'wx-config --static --libs' command)
    is in LD_LIBRARY_PATH or equivalent variable and
    wxWidgets version is 2.8.0 or above.

14. JackOfAll

OK, you should have a libcurl package available from the package manager. (Which I think you've already installed). Likewise, you need to find wxBase and wxGTK (and probably the corresponding devel packages as well so you have the headers to build against.)

15. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Right, got it all compiled without any errors, but when trying to run fahmon its coming up with the following:

fahmon: error while loading shared libraries: libwxcurl.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Edit: scrub that, fixed it by running sudo ldconfig to update the system

16. JackOfAll

So it's working! Yes!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

17. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Yes it appears to be working. Many thanks for your help Clive. I've got to dash now so will leave it folding away overnight and see if its still there in the morning :)

18. JackOfAll

Tip: Go to Prefs->Monitoring->Reload clients in series. You'll probably want to check that. Still seems to be a gremlin to do with multi-threading in the client reload code, which will result in the app crashing. Chances are increased with the number of clients you are monitoring. But if it reloads them in series, far less chance of it happening, unless you manually reload at the same time as the auto timer goes off. ;)

19. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Cheers Clive - it did survive the night, even so I checked the reload in series option this morning. Weirdly though, despite picking up both CPU clients and knowing what project they are currently running, and showing the percentage completed FahMon reckons both clients are huge (red square) and so won't show their PPD :(

20. JackOfAll

Erm, if that's what I think it is, yes, it happens sometimes with the A2 WU's. Have a look at the unitinfo.txt file in the client dir. Have you got a stupidly high number in there. ie > 200%? And you're using the latest 6.24 BETA client for smp WU's (which should stop the % completed being > 200%)?

Last edited: 14 Aug 2009