1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows What's the best way to display a message when users acccss certain websites?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Restayvien, 31 Dec 2012.

1. Restayvien

Restayvien aka [ZiiP] Prometheus

I'm currently looking into the possibility of having our company's social media policy displayed when staff access certain websites (i.e. Facebook, which has recently been un-blocked), potentially with a checkbox which has to be ticked before the user can proceed (prefferably one that only has to be ticked once) - what's the best way to implement this?

We have some remote users, various browsers and 100+ machines including a few which I don't have physical access to.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, on this occassion my google-fu has failed me!

2. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

What sort of network do you have, basic windows shares, small business server, enterprise network?

Basically, you need to setup a redirection of the websites to an internally hosted site, but how you do it depends on your particular setup

Looky here

3. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

What are you using for restricting/limiting Internet access?

Using proxy software would be the way to do this but it depends if you're using any or not yet...

4. Restayvien

Restayvien aka [ZiiP] Prometheus

I'm currently supporting our sys admin with user/front-end support and haven't been here long, also I won't be getting into the backend server stuff until later this month at the earliest, so my answers will be patchy at best for now.

We have a few physical servers and some virtualised - running Windows but I'm not sure which version I'm afraid. Our intranet was built with Sharepoint so I suppose any page that we redirected to would be a part of that.
    As for restricting/limiting internet access, I'm not sure exactly how the sys admin is doing it currently, but we do use Sophos so it's possible he's using that?

I'll talk to him when he returns in the new year about your questions, thanks for your input - the more realistic and specific my proposal (however minor!) the more likely it will actually be implemented.

5. Daedelus

Daedelus What's a Dremel?

What you need is a proxy server. Google it, should tell you everything you need to know.
    In a nutshell - users are served web pages from the proxy server instead of direct from the web, so you can easily set up redirects. It also reduces your bandwidth since users will be seeing cached versions of web-pages.

6. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Yeah so what I said then...