1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Google hit by leak of five million accounts

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 11 Sep 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Or to put it another way, 5 million people accidentally provided their own login details to the scammers.

Edit, it seems that the passwords were those used to log into some websites rather that the gmail password.

So long as people don't use the same password for their email and website logins, then all should be ok.

Last edited: 12 Sep 2014
  3. Deders

Deders Modder

2% of 4.9 million is 98,000

4. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Yup. Set up 2 factor authentication too. I have had it for a while. It is a minor inconvenience but it does help to protect my data.

5. gabe777

gabe777 What's a Dremel?

And no doubt many will be using those hacked accounts to trade in illegal images, and when Google finds these images in their inbox, the UK rozzers - in their ultimate wisdom (not !) will arrest the original owners and put them all on their little list !

So now, not only can you get into serious trouble if someone SENDS you such an image, you will even if you're email is hacked.

Scotland.... I don't blame you for getting out while the going's good.

6. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

Why the hell would anyone use Gmail, it's one of, if not the most analyzed emails you can use, I won't say 'spied on' as google make it very clear it's emails are monitored and it's so damn obvious that with Gmail, youtube, google + and what ever else google have linked together, that many people will only bother with one password and with such a large database it's a huge target for hackers, Great idea :rolleyes:

7. azazel1024

azazel1024 What's a Dremel?

That is actually interesting are rather proactive of Google if they truely did pull the this and then require the accounts that were actually accesible to change their password.

8. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

still one of the most secure email thought (if 2FA sms is enabled)

9. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

One of my emails is listed and the password shown is one I last used 6 years ago. It was also stupidly based on a dictionary word. Since then I've used random passwords and set up 2-factor authentication. At no point have I ever given my details to scammers and the password that was shown by the checker was only ever used on forums. Most likely the 'leak' is simply some old forum databases (probably phpbb) that have been accessed and passwords revealed.

Websites like the checker at http://securityalert.knowem.com/ are doing nothing but spreading an awful lot of FUD by claiming that Gmail was hacked and urging users to change passwords.

Google are, to my knowledge, only triggering password resets on accounts that stil use the same password shown in the leak. If you change your password often then you will probably be safe.

Last edited: 11 Sep 2014
  10. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

I checked, and the leaked password for my account is 5 years old...

11. clorex

clorex What's a Dremel?

Where did you get the list of passwords? I also want to check what password of mine were leaked.