1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V In-ear headphone recommendations

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by silk186, 11 Mar 2015.

1. silk186

silk186 Derp

My current buds are Shure SE215 which I've had for a few years. I'm looking to replace them with something that is more durable and comfortable.

While I enjoy the sounds profile of my Shure buds, (range, clarity and clear bass) they are annoying to wear. My main problem is with the detachable cables.You would think that this is a good idea but they are crap. Being removable the connection between the cable and buds can be a problem with one side of the other sometimes cutting out. Second they are very stiff, so stiff in fact that they don't properly wrap around my ears and as a result can rotate away from my head, especially when running. The third complaint is that the the plastic around the 3.5mm jack is so wide that I have to remove my phone case so that I can plug it in. Finally, the replacement cables are so expensive that they cost half as much as a new set.

As such I'm looking for a new set that sounds as good but are more durable and comfortable. Preferably with a long warranty and good customer support. I will wear them to walk in wet weather, run at the gym and when travelling on planes and trains. While I will watch some movies on my phone and expect clear dialogue (currently s4, looking to upgrade to an M9) they will be primarily for music and I expect clear bass (rap, hip-hop, RnB, techno, trance, rock).

Hopefully they will be able to last a number of years. My budget is £100. I like amazon prime, I have a gift card for Currys and I've heard buying from places like John Lewis is good for no questions returns if they break.

I'm not in a rush, so if a particular pair is of good value and is expected to go on sale I can wait.

• Sennheiser CX300-IIs £30- solid recommendation so CX475 must be a better deal
    • Sennheiser CX475 Argos £20
    • SoundMAGIC E10 Amazon £30 widely recommended last year
    • Sony MDR EX650 Amazon £50 (prime)
    • AudioTechnika CKX-9is amazon £67 (prime) - decently reviewed, but are they better than the EX650?
    • beyerdynamic MMX102 amazon £73 (had too many mixed reviews for my comfort)

[​IMG]

Last edited: 12 Mar 2015
  2. DIZZY DAZZLER 2010

DIZZY DAZZLER 2010 Tech nut!

I have recently purchased the Sony MDR EX650 for £60 and I can honestly say I cannot fault them. my Boss is well into his audio and he has shown me some very expensive gear and I am happy with my budget Sony jobbies.

3. silk186

silk186 Derp

Hmm... those look like a pretty solid recommendation. £50 on amazon with prime.

4. ripmax

ripmax Minimodder

The beyerdynamic MMX102 are really good and highly reviewed but are a little more than the sony's.

5. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

Personally I'm using AudioTechnika CKX-9is, really like the extra support from C-tips. Sound wise (in their price category) they are excellent.

6. Deders

Deders Modder

Always been a fan of the Sony ear buds, they punch well above their price range. The sound quality is usually amazing with a nice wide soundstage, great detail at all frequencies which are nicely balanced.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I just picked up a pair of Sennheiser CX300-IIs for £30. Not the newest, but they do me just fine - but that said, I'd never describe myself as an audiophile and they're typically either plugged into a laptop, my phone, or a dictaphone, none of which is going to really benefit from spending that much more. As always, your mileage may vary.

8. Deders

Deders Modder

The CX300-II's are also great for the price. If I only had £30 and needed headphones I'd get them. If I had the extra for the Sony's I'd pick them instead. I've heard them both and prefer the sound signature of the Sony's.

9. silk186

silk186 Derp

Sennheiser CX300-IIs £30- solid recommendation but I'm assuming the CX475 must be a better deal
    Sennheiser CX475 Argos £20
    SoundMAGIC E10 Amazon £30 widely recommended last year
    Sony MDR EX650 Amazon £50 (prime)

beyerdynamic MMX102 amazon £73 (had too many mixed reviews for my comfort)
    AudioTechnika CKX-9is amazon £67 (prime) - decently reviewed, but I'm not seeing the benefit of spending more than £50

10. bartiszon

bartiszon Minimodder

Sennheiser CX475 are in RicherSounds for £19.95 (in case someone doesn't like Argos)

What about SoundMAGIC E10? (£29.95 in Amazon or RicherSounds)
    I've heard many good things about them and I am very tempted with the current price.

11. Deders

Deders Modder

If you do go for the Sony's bear in mind that you may have to burn them in for several hours before the magic happens. Check out reviews to see if other people needed to do the same. I have for all the different models I've owned in that series.

12. silk186

silk186 Derp

Thanks for the heads up Deders. Does anyone know if RicherSounds would allow me to demo the Sennheiser CX475, or is that not possible with in-ear buds.

The SoundMAGIC E10 are another solid recommendation, but I'm not sure they can compete with the Sennheiser CX475 at £20. I'm very tempted to pick up the Sennheiser CX475 tomorrow if they sounds nice. When my fiancée goes back to China she can pick me up a pair of Sony MDR EX650 for £34. It seems that the Sony are unlikely to go below £50 in the UK market and I'm not familiar with ordering from Germany ect.

13. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

I have bad experience with Sennheiser, cx400 lasted me less then 2 years before cable snapped. Their replacement, Denon AH-C360, lasted over 4 years (until I lost them). So unless Sennheiser improved their build quality in recent years, would not recommend.

14. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Soundmagic E10s are cracking headphones for the price. Mine are going strong after more than two years of sterling service.

15. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

T-jay four for me every time. Tried so many different but always come back to there. Sound is great and sit in my ears perfect. The finished product is top quality

16. bartiszon

bartiszon Minimodder

Same here.
    2 years ago I ordered cx300-II but received cx301. Have been told that they are exactly the same headphones with just small cable modification and I must admit they were ok... till I lost them.
    So the last Christmas I decided to gift myself with another Sennheiser cx300-II. I just couldn't resist that offer: £22 dispatched from and sold by Amazon. Well, I have returned them just a few days later. Still can't believe how awful they were. I asked some friends and relatives to listen to their favourite music with these headphones and they were also quite shocked. I don't know if they were fake (despite being sold by Amazon, not a 3rd party seller) or just a bad batch, but I guess the quality control for lower end headphones is no longer existent.

17. silk186

silk186 Derp

I will see if I can demo the Sennheiser CX475 tomorrow.
    £20 is hard to pass up. I'm thinking about getting these in addition to the Sony MDR EX650 at this point unless the CX475 disappoint.

18. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

One thing to remember then demoing headphones is that they require burn-in period to achieve best sound (more so for higher end models). Even majority of reviewers miss this point.
    At then end (in this price category) you get what you pay for - it might sound about as good as higher end models, but build quality wont be as good.

19. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Skullcandy Titan 2. I got these as they were on offer at MVC and I'm impressed. However I will say that the remote buttons are very sensitive as I kept activating my media player by accident.

20. silk186

silk186 Derp

I will see if I can demo the Sennheiser CX475 tomorrow.
    £20 is hard to pass up. I'm thinking about getting these in addition to the Sony MDR EX650 at this point unless the CX475 disappoint.