1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Mozilla speeds Firefox development

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 18 Sep 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

A bit early to be getting excited about 4.0 I feel... Besides, I can't think of anything I want from my browser that 3.5 can't do and websites try to implement.

3. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

i dumped firefox yesterday for chrome 3 and no turning back. I am loving Chrome!
    Bookmarks are waaaay better, the history is simply awesome and download manager sweet and simple.
    Mozilla is going to need to do alot to get me back!
    Google has done to the browser what Apple did to the smartphone.

Its not all perfect, chrome maximised bleeds a vertical blue bar over to my 2nd monitor and logmein throws up errors but thats logmeins fault i assume.

4. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

I heard FF4 is based on FF2, not FF3. This can only be a good thing. In my experience FF3 is less stable than FF2 and has had an annoying feature added. If they hadn't stopped patching FF2 I'd have stuck with it.

5. isaac12345

isaac12345 What's a Dremel?

i like the fact that these guys leaned from their mistake and have come up with a solution. we need more people like these , ESPECIALLY IN THE FINANCE INDUSTRY!!!

6. raGe82

raGe82 What's a Dremel?

I hope this won't be 'sprint' development methodology I know from my company... At first it looked pretty good - big set of task split in a bunch of small independent ones, which were assigned to single developer (sometimes two or even three) for about 5-10 work days.

After first month it was obvious that:
    - these small tasks aren't independent,
    - giving one task to team no. 1, then giving their results to team no. 2 isn't a good idea, because every developer has his way of solving issues,
    - in the end we got way beyond schedule.

Yeah, I know - everyone has to learn his own way, but hey! Why we are the ones that will be punished? :p

7. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Taken from "Extreme Programming for Dummies"? :eyebrow:

8. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

Apple did virtually nothing for the smartphone market... Google has done more for smartphones.

9. perplekks45

Depends of whether you classify the iPhone a smartphone or not.
    And what did Google do for smartphones? Android? :eyebrow:

10. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

Good to hear of another company adopting agile methods, however most don't feel the need to announce it to the world! I've in a team doing this for about 18 months (all my time as a developer) and the company I work for (Xerox) have been doing this in places for the best part of 3 years.

In theory it works really well but it all comes down to how it's managed and how good the product owner and the developers have to be disciplined and keep to the plan. In a product I'm currently doing integration for we have managed to cut the development ccle time for a new UI down by more than half, whilst improving on regression and bugs that get into the baseline.

11. perplekks45

Agile methods and XP especially are great in theory but in 90% of all cases they suck due to bad management, true. But if done correctly you are just that much faster and practically bug free.

Let's hope Mozilla did their homework.

12. Chocobollz

Chocobollz What's a Dremel?

If FF2 was more stable than FF3, then why Mozilla keeps patching it? In my experience, FF2 isn't very stable, I could never able to use it for a few days without it crashing, and that while I'm not using any addons or opening a lot tabs (like I usually do in Opera). With Opera, I could open 1400 tabs (in 40+ windows) at the same time and it will stay stable for weeks! FF2 is the single reason I've switched to Opera for these 2 years. FF3 doesn't change that for me because IMO, Opera UI is so much more intuitive. I haven't tried Google Chrome but I don't think they will make me switch haha.

Can they store the bookmarks online so I can access it anywhere (even from my mobile phones) like Opera Link? If so, I might be interested in trying it.

13. perplekks45

Fanboyism is great, ain't it?

Tags: Add Tags