1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Seagate promises 6TB drives this year

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 31 Jan 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

Damn :grr:

3. azazel1024

azazel1024 What's a Dremel?

Grrrr. Not mad at the uber high price, mad that these are still stinking 1TB per platter designs. It does make me wonder though, if they have 1, 2, 3 and 4 platter designs and are looking at a 6 platter 6TB design, what about also coming out with a 5TB 5 platter design more consumer oriented?

Sigh, even a slight bump to 1.2TB per platter would go a long way. ~2.5TB 2 platter design, ~5TB 4 platter and 6TB 5 platter designs then.

It seems like hard drive areal density is plateauing a lot recently. It's been, what? 18 months, at least, since 1TB per platter designs hit and by the admissions of both WD/HGST and Seagate it doesn't look like either of them will release designs with >1TB per platter in 2014. So a minimum of another 12 months, or 2.5+ years before we move from 1TB per platter to something higher.

SSDs are catching up, fast. I'll bet we'll see some 1.5TB designs this year as the big guys start moving from designs like 19x25nm cells to 19x19nm cells and stuff and in another year or two we'll probably see 2+TB SSD designs (in a 2.5" form factor to be clear).

4. dicobalt

dicobalt What's a Dremel?

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

6. Jim

Jim Ineptimodder

As far as I know, the 6TB He drives aren't even available through normal channels yet.

I'm not in any rush, but I wouldn't mind a couple for backup purposes if the price was reasonable.

7. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Great another useless use for Helium.

8. desertstalker

desertstalker What's a Dremel?

9. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

It results in electricity saving so surely positive given how little gas is needed to a fill a 3.5" drive.

10. SleepyMatt

SleepyMatt What's a Dremel?

Perhaps, but not exactly a long-term solution.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19676639

Last edited: 1 Feb 2014
  11. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

If they can keep helium in - which is difficult, since it diffuses through objects quite easily, as every balloon-owner knows - they could probably just as easily maintain a vacuum in there.

Gimmick.

12. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Perhaps. But it is data. I think the cold harsh truth is the real data is going to be hard to come by. It would rely on companies being honest and open. This includes too many companies reliant on third parties maintaining their hardware also. I can't see much incentive for anyone to do anything other than avoid actually **** products.

13. John_T

John_T Minimodder

14. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Hitachi's 3.5" division is actually owned by Toshiba now, not Western Digital.

WD got Hitachi's laptop HDD division, the desktop division went to Toshiba as a regulatory compliance clause to avoid consolidating all HDD manufacture into two companies.

15. Gareth Halfacree

The reason they don't do that is because a vacuum is a highly efficient insulator - ever owned a Thermos flask? - and while putting the drive's components in a vacuum would reduce drag still further over helium, it would also result in the drive rapidly overheating.

Which was addressed in the original article, and further expounded upon in the comments section.
    Rings a bell - I'd forgotten about that!

Last edited: 3 Feb 2014