1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows service call software?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Sp!, 14 Oct 2014.

1. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

at work we have a slightly convoluted "service call" management system..... it currently goes something like this

Client phones in with issue
    Create a service sheet from template entering all details manually (or copying them from previouse call out sheet) (excel doc)
    add service sheet to summary spread sheet (excel)
    Print service sheet
    hand print out to engineer
    engineer carry's out necessary work completes printed out service sheet and gets clients signature
    drops service sheet at the office
    someone manually updates costs from service sheet in summary spread sheet and creates invoice

I've had a look at various help desk / field engineer solutions but nothing really fits our needs (we're only a small team with 4 service engineers so scheduling is not really a problem).

Does anyone know of a suitable solution, or at least a good way to automate a lot of this process?? maybe using access or even MySQL???

2. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

So all you want really is ticket tracking and billing for time spent?

Almost all Help Desk Software will do this for you. There are plenty of free option available, for example:

www.spiceworks.com/free-help-desk-software
    www.manageengine.com/products/service-desk/free-it-help-desk-software.html?std
    www.hesk.com

I've used the paid for versions of ManageEngine and SpiceWorks before and they were good, but can't specifically comment on the free versions.

Hesk looked interesting as it's totally free and runs on MySQL also.

Hope that helps :)

ps. You'll wonder how you managed without a proper system once you get used to using one!

3. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

I've looked at spiceworks and Hesk, only neither of them seem to offer the "customer sign off" we need, ideally this would be on tablet of some description but even document we could print and get the customer to sign would be good.

4. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

So you can only invoice for work once you have a physical signature? Ouch.

You'll need to go down building something custom if that's the case as I've never seen a system that has 'signature' capture or a print out required to close a call.

If a client won't pay you unless you can prove by signature that you've been to site and fixed the issue they need to be brought into this century!

This is a basic over view of how it works at most places:

Client calls, logs ticket with help desk with client info and problem info. [normally email sent to customer with details and job ref]
    Ticket is printed for tech to take to client site. [optional]
    Tech attends site.
    Problem gets resolved and time taken noted.
    Tech returns, logs notes and time into ticket and resolves the ticket. [email sent to customer saying ticket resolved]

Once a ticket is 'resolved' it stays in this state for a number of days, during this the customer can re-open if they are not happy with the resolution. Then after the period has passed the call is closed and gets billed.

A monthly invoice is generated from the system that lists appropriate level of detail for the client and the billable time.

It's up to the client to check this if they want, but once you have it all in a single system you can easily pull up all the info and time for each call if they query do one.

Last edited: 14 Oct 2014
  5. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

I'm not sure how much of a requirement the signature actually is, it's just the way its done now (although half the time there's no one to get a signature off or the person that signs is not the person who pays the bill anyway so the signature is a little irrelevant) need to talk to the directors and see what sort of change they'll be happy with...

Just out of interest do you know if Hesk or spiceworks web UI will run on iPhone??

6. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Spice works has apps. I set it up in my last job and we ram it for help desk / inventory for about 5 years.

Very customisable. If you know ur way round sql you can combine with crystal reports to build exports of your work orders.

Customer signs it off and when it's returned to site it's scanned and attached to the case and then closed.

As I said it's pretty customisable including the portal so you could in theory use that as your entry form.

7. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who