1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Making a PC behave like a console

Discussion in 'Software' started by Aurie, 15 Nov 2014.

1. Aurie

Aurie What's a Dremel?

So I'm setting up my new PC to look and feel like a Console when it boots up:

When I turn it on I have some custom loading screens to get rid of all Windows branding crap and it boots up straight to the Steam Interface (by-passing explorer.exe) in "big picture mode".

Does anyone one have any idea how I can get a game to automatically start on condition that the game disc is physically inside my CD-drive? Basically exactly how the 360 works.

I know its an odd thought, just would be nice to kick the PC on, and go grab a drink etc, come back and I'm on the main menu of the game I'm currently playing.

2. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Defeats the purpose of a PC really. Why not just buy a console?

And no, every game on PC needs SOME setting up. If you want a seamless experience, make sure everything is set up to use steam and get mostly digital versions. If you're playing older games, then you won't have a seamless experience through steam big picture (as far as i'm aware). It might be possible with some coding sorcery, but i'm not versed enough to know how.

3. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

If you're willing to wait, SteamOS is supposed to deliver pretty much everything you're asking for, a comfy seamless experience from turning it on to playing your game.
    Valve have gone a bit quiet about the whole project lately though...

Other than that I have no idea.

4. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

It could be done, but you would have to write your own scripts or software to do it.

The thing to remember is that most pc games install to the operating system and rely on various software clients as launchers. So generally games don't depend too much on the disc itself.

So even if you did actually go to the trouble to learn how to do this and implement a solution, it would be an entirely simulated experience. (Detect disc in drive, scan disc for exe file, compare to list of known games installed, launch the game exe from its operating sytem folder. ) You would have to update this piece of software every time you install a game as well.

I very much doubt that you will do any of that so big picture mode is probably the closest you can get to what you want at the moment.

5. Aurie

Aurie What's a Dremel?

I don't buy a gaming machine based on how it boots up a game lol. I game with a PC for the eye candy. Consoles are a waste of money, cleverly marketted commerical rubbish - one which i'll probs buy next year just to play with mates (damn you all!).

Mmm yes hadn't really considered this properly, suppose there is too many variants of requirements to boot up a game to have a completely seemless experience: Old games requiring discs, stuff like WoW/GW2 having there own game launchers, etc.... may have to rethink this further

thanks