1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals What headset for my Asus DX

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bemused, 7 Mar 2011.

1. bemused

bemused What's a Dremel?

I've got a Asus DX sitting on my desk waiting for the rest of my build to arrive and I'm trying to decide what headset I can get for it. I've got a Astro A40 system for my PS3 which is very good indeed but I'm looking around to see what I can plug into my DX.

I'm really not sure if 5.1 or 7.1 gives you any real benefit over just a really good set of stereo headsets.

Any audiophiles here that can help me out. I'm thinking of spending about £100, but less would be fine :)

2. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

I am also in this dilemma just now thinking about getting a new headset but cant decide on what to get wouldnt mind one for xbox and pc but the astro's are mental priced! Its that bloody little amp thing that costs £100 on its own! Mental.

3. cardan93

cardan93 What's a Dremel?

Please don't waste any money on those gimmicky "5.1 or 7.1" headsets. For an amazing surround sound/precise listening experience, you need a set of cans with a nice soundstage.

The Audio-Technica ath ad700 headphones are great for just that. They have an amazing, expansive soundstage/clarity/precision and You can get a pair for around $90-$100 on amazon. Another damn good (and way cheaper) pair is the JVC HA-RX700. They have a slightly smaller soundstage than the Audio Technica's but don't let that detract from their great value for the price.

Either is a much better investment than a crappy headset. If you're really in need of a mic, you can just buy one separately.

4. Strudul

Strudul ~

Get Sharkoon x-tatics. They are as good as Astros, but much cheaper.

5. will_123

Are turtle beach headphones any good i see they can be used in both xbox and pc has anybody used or got a set of these?

6. Strudul

Strudul ~

I believe there a better alternatives. The only ones to consider are the X11s cos they are cheap.

7. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

IMO you should steer clear of "gaming" headsets, they're most likely just like everything else with "gamer" slapped on it, i.e. they use more l33t plastic to distract you from their lower quality.

8. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

will_123 - for my xbox, I use a turtle beach X11 with their DSS 7.1 processor - comes to about £100 for both - and its amazing if you play call of duty etc, i use it everyday and have done since last april. The DSS just basically changes the sound to dolby digital surround sound, it makes it slightly nicer and subtler, but for all intents and purposes - like for soundwhoring in FPS games - it prolly aint worth the £60 investment. I would highly highly recommend the X11 if you play on xbox though, it sounds really balanced, is cheap, and is very durable. Dont waste your money on expensive trittons, i have tried them they are garbage (completely different sound technologies and drivers).

There may be better quality headsets for pc, like sienheisser's etc, but this aint my territory as i game on xbox.

9. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

If you have the Astro A40s, why not just use them?

10. Strudul

Strudul ~

I completely disagree.

Everyone I know who owns a pair of X11s has broken them at least once.

IMHO trittons/sharkoons/astros all sound a hell of a lot better thna X11s. Especially for soundwhoring, where you can take advantage of the 5.1 surround. And music sounds rllllllly gud :p

11. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

well iv used trittons and turtle beaches and went through a lot of stress to get the right ones, so i still think im right lol.

the DSS with the X11 is basically turtle beaches 5.1 surround sound mixamp, just like the astro's mixamp, or the trittons 5.1 processor which comes with the 720s or Axpros. Astro's A40s are stereo headsets but have the dolby surround mixamp, just like the X11 with the DSS (both have similar sized drivers too). The tritton axpros are different though, because they have 4 individual speaker drivers in each ear, so you get a so-called 'true' discrete surround sound experience.

In november last year, i bought some AXpros but trust me they sounded ABSOLUTELY dreadful - no sound clarity, way way too bassy and was nowhere near as clear as my turtle beaches. This is prolly due to the fact they have 4 mini speaker drivers in each ear, as opposed to 1 larger 40m ones that are in the TBs. I sent them back and got some 720's, they were better but still nowhere near as clear as the turtlebeaches (i play on modern warefare 2 mainly and used the trittons for 3 full days on them). I can honestly say i would urge you to not buy those headsets over the turtle beaches, i would be the first person to say if they were any better (i have never tried any pc headsets only 360 ones, though).

Also, they are much more durable and flexible than the trittons, which are very rigid if u have tried them

12. bemused

bemused What's a Dremel?

Because they are plugged into my playstation and the mucking around to hook the mixamp up to whatever system I'm using is a pain. I'd rather just spend £70 and have a pair plugged in full time. I'm look at the Razer Carcharias recommended here, they have some decent reviews.

13. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I'd look for a pair of Senn HD555s and use a desktop mic on that budget.

Last edited: 8 Mar 2011
  14. will_123

I have a pair of HD 448 at work when listening to my music and they are really good imo. Im not an audio nut but i want a pair that are around the quality of those and they have a mic aswell. But they need to be able to be useable on xbox and pc. My xbox wireless headset broke and i was already thinking about razer characias for my pc. I dont really want to buy 2 headsets but maybe this would be the best option if i cant get a pair to suit both...