1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling Waterloop temps - Seem a little high to me?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bdigital, 4 Jul 2011.

1. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Hey all,

Im just testing out the new waterloop, and im not sure about the temps im getting.

Please note that although im listing a GTX480 in the loop, it is not currently switched on because i dont have the right power cable. (even more reason to be worried about the temps!!)

System:

i7 950
    REII Mobo
    3x2gb xms3
    GTX480 (Not currently switched on, but the loop is plumbed through its waterblock).

The loop order is as follows:

Swiftech MCP655-B pump > GPU (Koolance VID-480 block > Mobo (EK Block) > CPU (EK Supreme HF, CU) > Double rad (Thin) > Res > Triple rad (Thin)

Fans on the triple are: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=FG-004-XG

Fans on the double are Enermax twisters

CPU temps at stock speed are 39c idle and 59c under load.

Bearing in mind that the GTX480 hasnt been switched on yet!! Im thinking these temps are a little high for a stock CPU?

What do you guys think? Ive not had any experiance with 1366 before so maybe its normal?

Last edited: 5 Jul 2011
  2. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Have you overvolted anything for OC? Once I stepped up my OC on my i5 750 I had to overvolt and it increased the temperature by 9c. I have since knocked the oc back down as the minimal performance increase wasn't enough to justify it running that much hotter.
    Or is the ambient room temp just quite warm?

3. bdigital

There is no overclock. Its all running at stock.

Room is quite warm, but its the load temps that concern me.

4. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I get up around there 53-57c when I load my system during summer 30c room temperature. I wouldn't be that concerned.

5. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I'd expect a 950 to run a little bit hotter than a 920 but at stock mine idles about 9ºC above ambient and loads at 17ºC above ambient e.g. Ambient 20ºC = 37ºC load temp. At 3GHz with increased voltage it's about 20ºC above ambient.

What fans are you using and are they full speed? Is the pump running fast enough?

I can't remember the make/model of the components in your loop.

6. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

too hot for stock imo.

7. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

agree with mrbungle, really seems to hot for stock, which is daft, have you checked to see if its on auto voltage? or have you set that manually?

8. bdigital

Voltage is on Auto. Its saying 1.2v in bios, and .9 in CPUz under load.

HT is enabled.

Pump is = Swiftech MCP655-B. It has a 4 pin molex to power it, and also a 3 pin connector that i have on the mobo header?! In the bios it is recording the "RPM" of this as 4000 something. Whatever that means?

Swiftech pump > GPU (Koolance VX 480 block) > Mobo EK block > CPU EK supreme full nickel > Double rad (Thin) > Res (EK spin) > Triple rad (Thin)

Fans on the triple are xigmatek - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FG-004-XG

Fans on the double are : Enermax Twister fans

9. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

all i can think is thats a hell of alot of stuff in one loop, how does flow seem?

10. thetrashcanman

Ok, try setting the voltage to manual 1.2v see what happens when you run prime 95 for a while, what are you using to monitor the temperatures btw? And what EK cpu block is that?

the 3 pin connector just measures the rpm of the pump, can you adjust the speed on yours? if you can make sure its on no. 5 Oh and are the room temperatures particularly warm?

11. bdigital

I wouldnt describe it as insanely fast. Its quite calm actually.

Uh oh. You think ive got too much in the loop? :(

12. thetrashcanman

remember he said the gpu isn't on atm

13. bdigital

Room temps are quite warm. But part of that is due to the fact i have 2 PCs going, one of them which is runing prime last few hours!

Im using Coretemp to measure temps, and CPUz for voltage.

TheCPU block is EK Supreme HF, CU full nickel.

I cant change pump speed unfortunatly :(

IL try changing voltage in bios. SHould i leave LLC on?

14. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

59C for a stock CPU under water? Nooo way... check the CPU block mount maybe?

Something's definitely not right... my TRUE could probably better that lol :D

PS for running a CPU at stock you don't need to touch any of the voltages (best not to).

15. thetrashcanman

ah not to worry just means its running at the full speed anyway, so that's fine, we've eliminated one possible cause of the problem, ok can you try opening some windows, letting some cool air in and possible switching off or putting the other computer to sleep? Ok change the voltage then we shall go from there, LLC? excuse my ignorance, whats that? once you've tried the voltage change, and shutting the other computer down if you can, then try a different temperature monitoring program just to see if thats the problem

16. Big Elf

You should have just about enough flow rate although the mobo blocks are probably the most restrictive.

I don't know whether those fans are particularly good on rads but if you're using XSPC RS series then they benefit from medium to high speed fans. Are you using cool air from outside the case to blow through the rads or blowing air out of the case through them?

I think I'd try a remount with fresh TIM.

17. bdigital

Set the voltage to manual 1.2v. Temps seem to have come down to by 3c.

Hmm still not good. I really hope its nothing to do with too much stuff in the loop or the block not mounted correctly.

18. bdigital

Pulling air from inside the base of the TJ07, through the rad and outside.

Paste is Shin Itsu, applied it using the large grain of rice method.

19. Big Elf

You may have got a bad mount so it's worth trying even if it just rules that out.

Is the loop fully bled now?

I forgot it was a TJ07. It doesn't seem to make much difference whether the bottom rad is using case air or not.

20. bdigital

Something has to be up here. Considering that the GTX480 isnt even powered up yet!! (but it is plumbed in) Which as we all know will contribute a lot of heat!!

Im thinking either flow rate, or bad mount. sigh. Can i turn the PC on its side to re-mount the block? Even while its full of water?! :p