1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Are You Going To Purchase a 4K Monitor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AMDMatt, 8 Jan 2015.

?

Are You Going To Purchase a 4K Monitor?

1. I plan to buy a 4k monitor within the next month or so

5.5%
  2. I want a 4k display but can’t afford it

24.8%
  3. I want a 4k display but my graphics card/s is not powerful enough for it

18.3%
  4. I'm happy with my current monitor

33.9%
  5. I want a 4K display, but the monitor is not suitable (refresh rate/TN etc)

9.2%
  6. I already have a 4k display

8.3%
  1. AMDMatt

AMDMatt AMD Rep

We're conducting a poll to learn how many of you are going to purchase a 4K monitor in the near future. We'd be grateful if you could you post your thoughts about 4K monitors as well, listing the Pros & Cons for whether you are planning to buy one or not. Thanks.

2. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I want a 4k monitor that is over 32" and supports freesync. Else I'd be happy with a 32" 2k with freesync as my next monitor. I'm quite happy with 2560x1440 tbh. I think freesync is what I want. Did I say freesync enough?

Freesync

3. AMDMatt

AMDMatt AMD Rep

Not long to wait then, law99. :thumb:

4. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I was said I plan to buy in the next month or so. But realistically its going to be later this year or maybe even next year. I need to see what AMD freesync looks like compared to GSync. Also tech report has released word of a 1440p IPS @120Hz with gsync. I want to see how that monitor performs and if it will turn into a 4K panel. I'd like larger than 27/28 inch also. What I would really really like to see is a gsync and freesync compatible monitor. Even if there was a big old button on the back to switch between circuitry.

I would need to update my graphics also which would probably have me update my 1366 gear to something more modern as well.

So basically I do plan to buy a 4k, but the panel I want is not available and I need to update my graphics. So almost everything on the list.

5. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I'm happy with my current monitor, but I'm also undecided about the practicality of 32" 4K monitors for imaging professionals (which I am training to be) - at first I thought it was a bit gimmicky, but the more I look into it, the more I think it would be pretty nice for certain things. Having worked on a 30" monitor before, I am inclined to think that 32" would be perhaps a bit on the large side... however the 16:9 aspect ratio may help a little.

I guess one particular advantage of 4K monitors would be the ability to zoom out of an image without losing sharpness, and potentially to have a lot more information on the screen at any one time.

Purely for the WOW factor, if somebody gave me £2.5k to bag a NEC PA322UHD, I'd jump on it like a horny rabbit. When it comes to playing games... not interested in UHD for moving images.

6. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

not at all, I follow jrs77 on this point. I can't imagine something more than 23/24" on my desk, I'm after energy effiency too.

7. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I don't have space for a screen bigger than 24" at the moment.

I cannot afford a new monitor much less the GPU that would be required to game at 4k.

I'm happy with my IPS panel @ 1920 x 1080 anyway.

I'm not an early adopter anyways. I'd rather wait until the prices drop and a single mid to low range GPU can handle 4k without batting an eyelid.

8. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I certainly wont be an early adopter of freesync, I can tell you that.

I'd also add, now put your fingers in your ears AMDMatt, I wasn't considering another AMD gpu until [thinking about] freesync [recently]. I was thinking of going green again. However I will remain agnostic on the whole thing. I don't want to be tied into gysnc anymore than freesync, but at least the possibility of nvidia offering the lot is potential.

It's funny how different needs are? I like the idea of 4k for screen realestate rather than detail necessarily. Although a higher ppi than what mine gives would be nice, I don't want tiny or something that necessitates scaling. I can totally see how to others the opposite would be required.

9. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Actually, I want something different.

Trio of 34" 21:9 3440x1440 panels. Possibly curved. Not as demanding as 4K, but still an increase over my current 2560x1440. The only thing that is presenting a problem is the 34" size - ideally I'd like to see them down in the 28" region with a higher DPI.

10. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

1 GPU (GTX 970)
    1 27" Acer VA monitor I paid £150 for
    Looks awesome to me.
    No budget or plans to change.

If I had a lotto win, no brainer.

11. johnim40

johnim40 Minimodder

I have a Iiyama Prolite B2888UHSU 28" 4K Gaming Monitor

http://www.box.co.uk/Iiyama_Prolite_B2888UHSU_28_4K_Gaming_M_1665990.html

the thing has dropped £80 since i got it :(

Im using it with a 3570k 8gb corsair ram and sli msi 970s using the dp

Its a nice upgrade from my dell 2409

Im no expert but it seems great to the last monitor

i use 3x 22in @ 6030x1080 on my main system but the 4k is nice to have the space in a 28in screen

12. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

I'm foaming at the mouth to get my hands on the AOC 34" 3440x1440 screen in a week or so.

I'm on a 290 GPU, 4K seems overkill-ish and couldn't be bothered at all with free- or g-sync.

13. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Do I sell mine or not. Not sure on this one

14. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Yes but the monitors are too small, I want a 37-40" 4k or higher screen, one that doesn't require font scaling to use the machine for anything more than games, with an assortment of HDMI2 and Displayports, great low res scaler and minimal input lag and high refresh rate + the ability to do active 3D.

Then I need a single GPU with the power of 4 r290s and jobs a good un, I don't want much really.

I use a laptop with 3800x1800 at the mo, high dpi and windows is yuk, all those pixels and you end up scaling it and make the screen no more useful than a 1080p screen is nuts, I want usable high res screen.

Last edited: 8 Jan 2015
  15. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

^^This^^
    I voted "I'm happy with my current monitor" for exactly this reason.

Gaming on a 4K monitor needs either a monster GPU setup, or variable refresh rates (IMHO).
    I don't have a spare £1k to spend on two GPUs and a monitor so I'm going to wait until we see how the two competing variable refresh rate technologies effects gaming at 4K, if it means we don't need to have a GPU setup that can output a minimum 60fps at 3840 × 2160, and if both competing standards are as claimed comparable.

16. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

No, because:

1. I don't want to have to spend a load on GPUs
    2. My current 29" Ultrawide is awesome
    3. Oculus Rift is going to make monitors entirely redundant for any games that support it.

17. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Whilst I don't want a 4k monitor anytime soon for most of the reasons others have mentioned (big cost, unsure about having an even bigger monitor, software scaling etc) along with me looking more towards a higher refresh rate than resolution at the moment, thought I'd just comment that I don't think this is entirely true.
    At times yes I'm sure it will, but playing games with the rift is more committal than using a monitor so I think nicer/better monitors will be important for quite a while yet.

18. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

tbh I find 1080 panels fine for gaming.

I may go to a 1200 panel if I can find another Dell U2412M for home use, have them at work and they are awesome.

19. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

I fit under " I have a 4K" and also "Its not suitable" so I use a 30" dell too.

4K is great, looks the biz but the 30" dell with its far superior panel actually looks nicer in games, looks like it has more detail and is fantastic for photo work. Odd considering it has less pixels but this is clearly a case of you get what you pay for buy cheap, buy twice.

20. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

I'm under
    I'm happy with my current monitor
    and
    I want a 4K display, but the monitor is not suitable (refresh rate/TN etc)

You forgot to add good interface scaling to the list of technology needed to make 4K suitable.

Also Freesync, and nVidia support Freesync. :lol: