1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking First build complete. 3570K OC Figures on page 5

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tigernos, 8 Apr 2012.

1. Tigernos

Tigernos Resident Roman Soldier

I have turned this thread into a mini project log of sorts. No actual modding being done so it has no place in the project log forum but I wanted to share my first build progress with you guys.

Renamed this thread from "How do you tell how many fans you can have?"

Original post below:

Last edited: 15 May 2012
  2. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

Tbh I wouldn't worry about the mobo, best thing to do is get a cheap fan controller and run them off the PSU. That way you can control noise and cooling and not have to worry about running fans off the mobo and all the cabling issues that can bring

3. Tigernos

This is the part where I sound stupid but..... You can do that?! Hahaha

4. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

the ecs mobo only has 2 fan headers and one of them is for the cpu.
    [​IMG]

m,ost fans come with 4pin molex adapters, so you can plug them directly into your psu, but they'll be running at 100% doing that. if that's too noisy for you, you'd have to gt a fan controller like crompers said.

5. tehBoris

tehBoris What's a Dremel?

I prefer to get fans that are quite at 100% and run them straight off the PSU, with the exception of the CPU fan, which is configured to 100% either in the BIOS or in some other software.

6. Tigernos

7. The_Crapman

Yeh the fan controller works independantly of the mobo, you just need to plug a 4 pin molex into it from your psu to power the fans. This one would do you fine
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/akasa-gloss-black-35-speed-control-for-3-fans-and-2-usb-20-ports

in terms of fan positioning, there was recently a really good article on bit-tech about this and from that, i'd suggest having the front and side fans on intake and rear as exhaust.
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/02/10/the-big-cooling-investigation/1

Tigernos likes this.
  8. Tigernos

Right having read that article.

This case: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/cool...de-window-120mm-front-led-blue-fan-and-120mm-

These fans: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/120mm-akasa-ak-274cb-4bls-crystal-blue-4-led-fan

(I think theyre the same one that comes standard with the case as the picture is identical to the one on coolermaster's website)

This fan controller: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/akasa-gloss-black-35-speed-control-for-3-fans-and-2-usb-20-ports

This power unit: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/600w...f-80-plus-sli-crossfire-eps-12v-quiet-fan-atx

Arranged with the front and side as intakes and the rear as exhaust, leaving the two roof fan slots open for convection too.

Can anyone see any problems with this setup? If not I'm ordering them tonight. :)

First step on the road to a new system and binning the awful donated system I have now haha

Also Crapman have some rep :)

Last edited: 8 Apr 2012
  9. The_Crapman

not sure if you copied the wrong link (to akasa fans) but these are of the same type as the one you get with the case:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/120mm-coolermaster-bc-120-quiet-fan-clear-case-with-blue-led-1200rpm

the problem with these is they aren't designed to be run at a different speed, the fan controller just gives them less power to control it. just be aware than at a certain point the fans will just stop spinning, so you'll need to do some testing when you get them to see what the minimum setting you can have them at is and maybe mark it on your fan controller.

and thanks for the rep :)

10. Tigernos

Nope, I was just wrong haha.

Yeah I'm aware that the control will be somewhat limited, the idea was if I'm using my PC for something other than gaming, like streaming a film or some other less demanding task, I can turn the fans down to minimise noise and when I'm playing a game under full load I generally have headphones on or speakers that are way louder then a few fans so I'll probably crank them back to 100% speed.

Have changed the fans (they were cheaper!!) and will order that tonight, I may even upload a picture in excitement haha:clap:

11. The_Crapman

definitely get some pics up when you've got them!

12. Tigernos

I don't think this really counts as worth trying to make a project log about it but I'll definitely try and get some pics up somehow.

I'm going to put my current system into the new case when it arrives and throw the god awful steel grey box I have currently. So it will be an awesome looking case with the poorest components ever at least until I get the rest!

13. The_Crapman

No not enough for a project log. Couldn't even really call it a mod. But when you get it, take a few pics and do a write up on this thread, then you can edit the title of the thread by going to your first post, click edit, then go advanced.

DeafGamer2015 likes this.
  14. Tigernos

I've done it! The case and PSU arrived today so as a warm up to when I eventually buy/can afford the other parts in my sig I took apart the old system and installed my old components into the new case with the new PSU. Pics to follow!!

Also, I'm 24 years old and I was bouncing about like a child when it all lit up.... it's like christmas come early

Last edited: 11 Apr 2012
  15. Nazata

Nazata What's a Dremel?

Looking forward to them, it's a pretty case alright...

16. Tigernos

So the old system is a terrible old piece of junk and it's slowly going to be replaced by the system in my sig, once I can afford it. However starting a build when you have never done one before is a daunting task so to familiarise myself with what I'm doing I took apart the old computer part by part and rebuilt it inside my new case and with the new PSU that arrived today :)

The old steel box of horror!!!

[​IMG]

The new parts

[​IMG]

The new parts installed... will it turn on, or will it catch fire?

[​IMG]

ITS ALIIVEEEE

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did my best with the cabling and the centre of the case is entirely clear so hopefully It will have enough airflow to keep my ancient graphics card from hitting 80 degrees while I'm playing EVE Online....

Now, to play it and see!!

Zinfandel likes this.
  17. Tigernos

Interestingly, with the controller at minimum they still go round, albeit slower and quieter.

The one niggle I have with it is the fan controller isnt very long and when locked into place in the 3.5 bay it actually sits about an inch behind the front panel of the case.

18. The_Crapman

looking really nice!:thumb:
    does the controller and/or 3.5" bay not have several different holes for positioning?

19. Nazata

Nazata What's a Dremel?

Looking good, I'll have to congratulate you in null sec when you've your build finally finished ;D
    Null sec felicitations are always the best.

20. Tigernos

Oh god don't talk to me about null sec, we left our womrhole through a direct null and travelled 75 jumps through null in a small armour HAC gang and managed to kill one solitary rifter and his pod, everyone else kept running away. Took the scenic route back another god knows how many jumps and cross jumped a larger fleet of tier 3 BCs and such and THEY even ran away from us. =/