1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which remote is best for an HTPC?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Hackjedi, 3 May 2005.

?

which remote should I buy?

Poll closed 19 Nov 2005.
  1. Marmitek PC Control

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. microsoft mce remote

8 vote(s)
    53.3%
  3. logitech harmony 655

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Hackjedi

Hackjedi What's a Dremel?

Well hello bit-tech modders!

since i'm working on my new HTPC project, I was looking around for the best remote control. Some companies sure have some kickass remotes on the market :D. So since I can't decide which one to take, I am asking YOU! as a pro modder: Which one to take :confused: ?

[​IMG]
    This is the Marmitek PC Control.
    advantages:
    Cheapes of the ones I like and it can go trough walls
    disadvantages:
    ain't it the same as the Nvidia/ old ati ones :confused: ?, it doesn't look c00l

[​IMG]

MCE remote

advantages: has the windows button on it
    disadvantages: can't go trough walls, can't control anything else than a PC

[​IMG]

The cheapest of the logitech ones.

advantages: has an lcd panel, has a lot of functions
    disadvantages: to expensive (90 euro's)

any comments would be nice :D

2. Mattt

Mattt Minimodder

this is the modding forum, so unless ur thinking of modding your remote i think your in the wrong place :hehe:

a mod will probrably move the thread to a more appopriate place where you will get some replys (wouldnt count on that however, most people are pritty engrossed in exploring the new layout)

3. lord nicon21

lord nicon21 sexy *******

whats wrong with the ATI one its what i use and i love it

4. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

if you're using mce, go with the official remote for sure. i've got it and i love it, and although i havent tried to use them yet, it comes with two little ir emitters to control other devices(set top box, tv) that plug into the reciever. and while the marmitek is rf(goes through walls) the ir on the microsoft remote is really good. as long as i leave my door open, i can go upstairs and still use the remote to control the media center pc in my bedroom.
    if you're not using windows mce as your htpc software, i'd go with something else. i think x10 has one that you can use to control their home automation devices as well as your pc and it is a learning remote as well (control any other ir devices you have)

5. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I really like the remote wonder (I and II) from ATI. RF = ownage.

6. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

RF doesnt equal ownage if you want you htpc far away (like I have mine in my basement) you would want IR to be able to use a remote extender to get the signal into the livingroom. I had one of those ATI remotes and it went pretty far and I liked it. Its just a matter of prefernce.

7. lord nicon21

lord nicon21 sexy *******

true mabe you should look at programmable remotes i'e not a pc one but program it to work with a pc and all your other stuff too that would be cool :rock: