1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Can I connect a router... to another router?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by quartz01, 9 Jun 2005.

1. quartz01

quartz01 What's a Dremel?

Hey guys,

I am going to a lan party soon and almost everyone has wireless cards in their PC's except for like 5 or 6. Well we were originally using a router with 4 ports in addition to it having wireless capibilities. So I was thinking we could take an other 4 port router and hook the wireless router up to that. Would it work? Any problems with it? I am not much of a network person...

Here's a lazy drawing of what I was thinking

http://img296.echo.cx/img296/5457/wireless1zv.png

P.S. Try to act like you were explaining this to a 50 year old woman who knows NOTHING about computers... thats really how clueless I am :thumb:

2. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

yea you can hook a router to a router just fin.. but you'll have to play with opening ports etc... to get the games traffic through..

3. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

Umm WHy would he need to open ports. The traffic is not leaving the local network. He is just expanding the local network.

To answer your question all you will need to do is take a striaght Cat5 cable and plug it in one port in each router(not the wan port though) and then you should be complete.

4. quartz01

Ohh, its that easy. Thanks alot guys. Here's another rough sketch for (I hope) my final question. Soo I am gonna hook up the non-wireless router from to the ethernet jack in the wall. Then how do I hook it up to my wireless router? Do I put it into the port that has "Internet" written over it? Or do I hook it up to one of the ports labelled "1, 2, 3, 4"??

http://img113.echo.cx/img113/4889/wireless25yj.png

P.S. I am not leaving the local network

5. CaseyBlackburn

Ok, I'll go through and explain eveything you need to do.
    1. Plug a ethernet cable from the wall to a port that says Wan or Internet
    2. On that router have all your internet settings set up correctly.
    3. Make sure a service call DHCP is turned on on that router
    4. Plug a cable from port 1 to port one on the other router
    5. On the second router make sure DHCP is turn off

if you do what i have said everything should work correctly, and you will have internet on all the pcs, if or if not you need it. My instructions should work i believe unless ive missed something.

6. quartz01

7. CaseyBlackburn

hehehe yea that might be what your looking for. Glad I could help, don't worry about sounding like a retard, i found that alot of people are this exact way. Ask again for any network related help.

Tags: