1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Laptop screen in a pc case

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ev1lm1nd666, 19 Mar 2011.

1. ev1lm1nd666

ev1lm1nd666 What's a Dremel?

Hi guys,

I'm planning a case mod based on an old chieftec server case I've been given. I want to incorporate an old laptop screen I have into the left side panel and I were wondering if anyone knows how to wire it up. I'd like to be able to use it as a secondary screen displaying media info etc...

I've included a pic of the connectors, I'm pretty sure the small one is the power to the backlight just not sure what to do with the main one.

[​IMG][/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks in advance for any help

2. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

There's been a few questions about this, and most of them don't have the answers that the asker wants to hear. It is possible, but because of the difference in signals between VGA and a laptop screen, you would need a controller board. The controller board will convert the VGA signal from your graphics card and output a signal for the screen via the LVDS connector. The boards can be expensive, but if you really want to do it, then go for it. A Google search will bring up something.

3. ev1lm1nd666

Cheers stuart, definitely gonna try and find a controller card, really wanna use a second screen in my mod. Gonna be my first "proper" mod so gonna do a lot of planning and make sure it's done right.

4. dawg218

dawg218 What's a Dremel?

Well, ev1, first off I have to say that what you're proposing, while not impossible, is remarkably difficult AND expensive.

You're going to have to Google around for a controller card, as Stu said, but they can run anywhere from $75 on up. I've seen them go for as high as $400. The difficult part is going to be to find one that will work with your specific screen.

I actually had the same idea a while back, but prohibitive costs kinda ruled it out. Obviously, if money is not an issue, then that makes it a lot easier. If you're looking to keep price lower, then I would recommend using a screen from a DVD player that can connect to HDMI or S-Video. You might not be able to get one that has the screen size you desire, but that would be a lot easier, and a lot cheaper.

Good luck though, and keep us posted.

5. ev1lm1nd666

Thanks guys, I think i'm gonna get a cheap-ish lcd monitor and use the panel out of that. I don't have a budget as such for the mod (still haven't finalised the design), i got a few ideas but need to refine them before i make a decision. Really want to incorporate a screen into the left side panel as it is rather large (24" x 16"), Thinking about water cooling, two or three triple 120 rads and at least one custom res

6. dawg218

dawg218 What's a Dremel?

Good idea ev1l, I think you'd have much better results using the LCD monitor you mentioned. I'm not sure where you live, but if you live stateside you can find decent monitors at Target for ~$100 or so. Ebay would be another good one to check out.

7. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

+1 on the LCD monitor idea. It's more pratical than hunting down a suitible controller board for the laptop screen.
    You could flog the laptop screen on ebay to cover some of the cost for the monitor maybe?

8. Barracuda_00

Barracuda_00 What's a Dremel?

The controllerboards are expensive, Mini-itx is a bit cheaper. you can find some epia boards that have Lvdscontrollers onboard.

9. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

if you're moving away from using a laptop screen, then try having a look at LILLIPUT touchcreens.

I've got a 7" one that I keep intending to mount in the fascia, in the bottom half of my Corsair 700D.

If you get the righ model, they are USB powered so you don't need to muck about with the power source, plus you get a touch screen to control your computer with.

Something a bit like this....

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/mimo-um-720f-usb-touch-7inch-tft-monitor-with-mounting-feature

10. onemaddude

onemaddude Minimodder

Silent_Raider likes this.
  11. sonicgroove

sonicgroove Radical Atheist

I have a pci controller card here, from a touch screen quiz machine screen if that's any good?? i binned the screen ages ago but the card is still in the attic. No idea if it'll be any good, or even if it works, but you are welcome to it.

12. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

This looks good to me. I did contact these guys a little while back about using a 7 inch screen. They can't do screens that small, but for what you need they should be perfect. I suggest giving them a email.

13. Silent_Raider

Silent_Raider What's a Dremel?

14. ev1lm1nd666

Cheers onemaddude, it's exactly what i been looking for, and i were gonna throw the screen out tomorrow, looks like it's been saved now. Cheers!