1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning trying to make my own HDD cage

Discussion in 'Modding' started by yoishiro, 27 Mar 2011.

1. yoishiro

yoishiro What's a Dremel?

hey guys , i was wondering ....

how can i do this :

[​IMG]

see the rounded bends inside the cage ?, that serves as rails for the "cady"

how can i do that ? i was thinking of doing that as a separate piece an L shape plexi or something , but i wanted to make it more legit :D i can make it instead of the full oval circle , just a bend on the top side and lower side to make the rails , but it wont be a oval circle , it would be a square hole lol

you guys have any idea . and/or a pic with the machene that does this process

2. D-Mon Taurus

D-Mon Taurus What's a Dremel?

I do believe the machine used is a big heavy cutting press. We are talking manufacturer here.
    They cut a hole slightly smaller then needed and a form presses the edges in thus creating that little ledges.
    Will be very hard to that yourself. A straight ledge would be doable. and you can keep the oval cut out.

3. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

To stand any real chance of doing that your going to need a screw/fly press. As taurus has said it would be done using a much larger press in the factory, but you could achieve decent enough results by hand.

4. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

Unless width of the whole cage is an issue, ledges of that type to form rails to support HDD's are much easier to make by adding say 6mm to the overall width of the cage, then cut out rectangular stript of 3mm plexi or alu and screw/rivit into place to create your rails. No real need to use 'L' pieces.

To get the hardware to do that kind of bending is silly money and even places which have the gear charge loads unless your taking a 1000 piece production run. I've enquired about this at a few local metal fab places as i wanted something like this myself having seen the IcyDock versions of the same but couldn't afford them :(