1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Mod for Lian Li A71F. First Mod

Discussion in 'Modding' started by will_123, 7 Apr 2011.

1. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

I have purchased a Lian Li A71F and its a amazing case i love it but i only has the 2 fans on the front where i have my dual 140mm rad just now. Ideally i would like to move this as i want to have the door closed on the case which currently i took off.

I am thinking about turning this into my first mod project but im just trying to figure out what i need to do to the case to get this working. I have 2 thoughts one either cut 2 140mm fans holes in the roof and have the rad there. Or put the rad along the bottom with PSU and have it exhausting out of the side of the case again i would need to cut fan holes.

What kind of equipment would I be looking at to get started with this had a look at some of the tools. Would it be a dremel I need? Or another tool.

Also this case cost quite a lot how would I go about practising on something else to make sure I done f*ck it up! Just dont want to end up with a mangled case. I do have an old antec 900 which this case replaced could give it a shot on that i suppose...?

Just any thought or advice on this would be great

Thanks

2. D-Mon Taurus

D-Mon Taurus What's a Dremel?

You can go a long way with a trusty Dremel and of course it does need some practice.
    But with the right blade and a steady hand you do fine.
    If the old case can be cut up try a straight line first. Practice makes perfect. Just never be hasty.

Check out this link for a quick tutorial video on using a Dremel. Clicky
    They also have some templates on the website for the fan cut outs. (Round)

Hope it helps buddy.

3. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

for only wanting to cut fan holes, i might recommend getting a circle cutter instead. all you have to do is drill a small hole to mount it then it has an arm that comes off the mount with a handle and blade attached that you crank around until it has cut through. they're dead simple and pretty much guarantee a perfect circle and generally do not leave a rough edge either.