1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics LED Lighting ?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Kehoe, 25 Aug 2015.

1. Kehoe

Kehoe Minimodder

Hi again,

I am currently in the process of designing a mid plate for my pc, but i was looking at getting it illuminated, i have been reading and its looking like Led strip lights would be the best options

never used anything like this before, the premade ones look like they would be costly for the amount id no doubt need to get the panel lit up nicely, ive seen stripps on amazon and ebay but the power system is what concerns me !

thanks again people in advance for any help

2. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I just wired a LED strip into a fan controller, I can adjust the controller and the light strip gets brighter / dimmer. Excluding the controller, it cost sub <£10 from amazon and the strip comes on a reel you can cut to length. I threw away the power supply it came with.

Using some little connectors (Linky) I ran a connection for the strip using an old fan connector to the controller.

This gives the strip the required 12V supply, instead of using the controller you could do this directly off the molex if you wanted.

Just be careful as there are 2 pin and 4 pin strips. I used the 2 pin type which are typically for a single colour, the 4 pin have colour control and may not work as above.

3. Kehoe

Kehoe Minimodder

4. mingingbollock

mingingbollock Minimodder

Yep they will be fine , you will just need to solder on your two wires 12v yellow and earth black and connect to a molex or fan header for power

5. Kehoe

Kehoe Minimodder

thanks all, i'll get some ordered once i've sorted the essentials