bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Hardware

Old 17th Jul 2012, 18:49   #1
tyepye
Hypermodder

tyepye is almost as Godly as yodasarmpittyepye is almost as Godly as yodasarmpittyepye is almost as Godly as yodasarmpittyepye is almost as Godly as yodasarmpittyepye is almost as Godly as yodasarmpittyepye is almost as Godly as yodasarmpittyepye is almost as Godly as yodasarmpittyepye is almost as Godly as yodasarmpittyepye is almost as Godly as yodasarmpittyepye is almost as Godly as yodasarmpittyepye is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Best way to apply TIM?

Hey,

I'm going to be putting my H100 onto my CPU later this evening and I was wondering what is the best way to apply TIM. Is there even such a thing as "best way"?

In the past I have done a thin layer covering the whole chip.

However, I have seen videos of people using the "pea" method with just a blob in the middle of the chip spreading when you push down the cooler.

I have also seen a method where you do a "line" down the middle of the chip and it spreads when you push down the cooler.

Just wondering what other people do and anyone got any tips?
Desktop: Zotac Z68ITX-A-E/Intel Core i3-2100/Corsair H100 (Push/Pull Stock Fans)/Antec TruePower New 650W/8GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz/2GB EVGA GTX 750Ti/Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD & Crucial 256GB M4 SSD/BitFenix Prodigy/Samsung SM206BW & Samsung SM2032MW/Logitech Illuminated Keyboard/Logitech Performance Mouse MX
Tablet: Nook HD+ 16GB/CM 11/32GB MicroSDHC/Kainy for remote gaming
tyepye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2012, 18:59   #2
kol
Supermodder

kol has yet to learn the way of the Dremelkol has yet to learn the way of the Dremelkol has yet to learn the way of the Dremelkol has yet to learn the way of the Dremelkol has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Less is more ;-) i used the pea method and it was fine, i think all the methods get mostly the same results. So really its upto you :-)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 18th Jul 2012, 08:40   #3
mm vr
The cheesecake is a lie

mm vr - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mm vr - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mm vr - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mm vr - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mm vr - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mm vr - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mm vr - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mm vr - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mm vr - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mm vr - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mm vr - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Almost any method works just fine, as long as no air bubbles get trapped in (so don't apply it in a circle or something).

And it should be more of a rice than a pea. TIM spreads out surprisingly well.
Intel Core i5 3570K @ 4.5GHz || Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme || Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H || 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600MHz CL10 || Radeon 4870 512MB || AC Accelero Twin Turbo Pro || Asus Xonar DX || Samsung 830 128GB || 2x WD Blue 640GB || Corsair HX620 || Antec P182 || Samsung SM 2232 + 2233 || Windows Server 2012
mm vr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2012, 09:05   #4
GeorgeK
Bit-Tech Keyboard Overlord

GeorgeK is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeK is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeK is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeK is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeK is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeK is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeK is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeK is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeK is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeK is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeK is definitely a rep cheat.
I followed the instructions here as they seemed to make sense to me - never had any issues afterwards...
Keyboards: Black Filco TKL - Reds | White Filco TKL - Browns | Filco MiniLA - Browns | Poker w/Plate, Alu Case, Stickered - Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears | Cherry G80-3000 - Browns | Cherry G80-3700 w/Plate - Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears | IBM Model M SSK - Bolt and Floss Modded | HHKB Professional 2 Type-S
GeorgeK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2012, 09:15   #5
Teelzebub
Up yours GOD not a Modarator /Staff

Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.
I use the large grain of rice in the center method, It's always worked fine for me.

I did a fair bit of reading about the Corsair coolers and it was generally felt that Shin-Etsu tim was the best for these coolers and was the one that was pre applied on them from new

Mountain mods case, Enermax 1250w PSU, Asus Maximus V Extreme, i7 3770k @ 4.6ghz, Samsung 840 250gb SSD. 500gb Seagate,Corsair H80i wind tunnel, 16gb Corsair Vengeance pro 1866mhz,4xEVGA GTX 670 quad SLI, 2 bags of weed

Last edited by Teelzebub; 18th Jul 2012 at 09:20.
Teelzebub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2012, 09:48   #6
tyepye
Hypermodder

tyepye is almost as Godly as yodasarmpittyepye is almost as Godly as yodasarmpittyepye is almost as Godly as yodasarmpittyepye is almost as Godly as yodasarmpittyepye is almost as Godly as yodasarmpittyepye is almost as Godly as yodasarmpittyepye is almost as Godly as yodasarmpittyepye is almost as Godly as yodasarmpittyepye is almost as Godly as yodasarmpittyepye is almost as Godly as yodasarmpittyepye is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Cheers for the responses.

Went the pea/rice method in the end. Hopefully all went well
Desktop: Zotac Z68ITX-A-E/Intel Core i3-2100/Corsair H100 (Push/Pull Stock Fans)/Antec TruePower New 650W/8GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz/2GB EVGA GTX 750Ti/Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD & Crucial 256GB M4 SSD/BitFenix Prodigy/Samsung SM206BW & Samsung SM2032MW/Logitech Illuminated Keyboard/Logitech Performance Mouse MX
Tablet: Nook HD+ 16GB/CM 11/32GB MicroSDHC/Kainy for remote gaming
tyepye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2012, 12:41   #7
Somer_Himpson
Banned

Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.
I use the cling film over the index finger and spread across whole chip method.
Think Custom PC suggested this way a while back and it has always served me well in terms of temps.
Somer_Himpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2012, 13:29   #8
adidan
CPC_refugee

adidan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adidan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adidan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adidan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adidan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adidan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adidan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adidan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adidan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adidan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adidan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I've tried the pea, rice, complete covering using plastic, straight line and cross method.

TBH I found it makes no difference whatsoever on temps, so long as you don't put too much on all methods are fine.
250Gb Samsung 840 // 650W Be Quiet Dark Power Pro // Lian Li V351b Apache Filled // Samsung T220 22" // W7 64
adidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2012, 13:33   #9
MSHunter
Mod Master

MSHunter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MSHunter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MSHunter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MSHunter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MSHunter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MSHunter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MSHunter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MSHunter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MSHunter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MSHunter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MSHunter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somer_Himpson View Post
I use the cling film over the index finger and spread across whole chip method.
Think Custom PC suggested this way a while back and it has always served me well in terms of temps.
this with a pea size bit of TIM. Arctic Freezer Silver 5 gets really good reviews. It is definatly my favorite TIM. Of the affordable TIM's it is very good/ best.

PC Audio: AKG 271 mk II + Samson Go mic. + Asus Xonar D2X
Amp: DENON PMA510AE, Speakers: TANNOY MERCURY F1
MSHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2012, 17:42   #10
Somer_Himpson
Banned

Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHunter View Post
this with a pea size bit of TIM. Arctic Freezer Silver 5 gets really good reviews. It is definatly my favorite TIM. Of the affordable TIM's it is very good/ best.
Ditto
Old 18th Jul 2012, 18:50   #11
faugusztin
I *am* the guy with two left hands

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Spreading manually is actually the worst method of all, likely to result in air trapped between TIM and cooler.
Old 18th Jul 2012, 19:15   #12
Stem83
Addicted to modding.

Stem83 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Stem83 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Stem83 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Stem83 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Stem83 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Stem83 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Stem83 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Stem83 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Stem83 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Stem83 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Stem83 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
yep i agree with faugusztin, its the easiest way to trap air..... just a small grain of rice size dab of tim in the center i find to be the easiest way, the pressure from the mounted cooler will spread the tim evenly (as long as when you clamp/tighten the cooler down you do it evenly a bit at a time switching diagonally) Otherwise you could spread the tim across one side and not the other.
Stem83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2012, 20:33   #13
FifteeeCal
Modder

FifteeeCal has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Rice and squish is all you need. Rice and squish.
FifteeeCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2012, 22:06   #14
Shirty
Home of the Carnival Cougar

Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidan View Post
I've tried the pea, rice, complete covering using plastic, straight line and cross method.

TBH I found it makes no difference whatsoever on temps, so long as you don't put too much on all methods are fine.
Me too, and all I've learned is that the less TIM you use the better the temps usually, rice grain is plenty. Current preferred method is a very small amount of AS5 manually spread, and my temps are pure awesomeness.

Shirty: "I broke your keyboard, sorry."
JaccoW: "I knew this was a risk when I sent it your way."
Shirty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jul 2012, 23:57   #15
Somer_Himpson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by faugusztin View Post
Spreading manually is actually the worst method of all, likely to result in air trapped between TIM and cooler.
Always had decent temps using this method.
It's all much of a muchness IMO
Old 20th Jul 2012, 00:04   #16
Teelzebub
Up yours GOD not a Modarator /Staff

Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHunter View Post
I find the grain of rice if the best, As for affordable tim that's one thing I've never understood people will spend 2k on a build and then get all tight arse over spending 10 on the best tim ffs

Mountain mods case, Enermax 1250w PSU, Asus Maximus V Extreme, i7 3770k @ 4.6ghz, Samsung 840 250gb SSD. 500gb Seagate,Corsair H80i wind tunnel, 16gb Corsair Vengeance pro 1866mhz,4xEVGA GTX 670 quad SLI, 2 bags of weed

Last edited by Teelzebub; 20th Jul 2012 at 00:26.
Teelzebub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jul 2012, 00:20   #17
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rollo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rollo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rollo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rollo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rollo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rollo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rollo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rollo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rollo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rollo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
old credit card spread it across
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jul 2012, 00:32   #18
Sloth
#yolo #swag

Sloth is definitely a rep cheat.Sloth is definitely a rep cheat.Sloth is definitely a rep cheat.Sloth is definitely a rep cheat.Sloth is definitely a rep cheat.Sloth is definitely a rep cheat.Sloth is definitely a rep cheat.Sloth is definitely a rep cheat.Sloth is definitely a rep cheat.Sloth is definitely a rep cheat.Sloth is definitely a rep cheat.
I like to plop on a rice grain sized amount then "flatten" it a bit manually. Just to make sure it reaches all the corners when it's completely flattened by the cooler. Probably doesn't matter how you do it, I just like the peace of mind.
Old 20th Jul 2012, 00:38   #19
dancingbear84
error 404

dancingbear84 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dancingbear84 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dancingbear84 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dancingbear84 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dancingbear84 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dancingbear84 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dancingbear84 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dancingbear84 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dancingbear84 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dancingbear84 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dancingbear84 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I use the rice method too. Never had a problem as far as I know.

It doesn't matter if you make a mistake, it only matters if you don't learn from it
dancingbear84 is online now   Reply With Quote