1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Which one Portrait or Landscape?

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Omega Point, 24 Oct 2008.

1. Omega Point

Omega Point Minimodder

I took these photos last month, I cropped them to remove a window frame (they were taken while leaning out of a window).

[​IMG]
    Flickr Page

[​IMG]
    Flickr Page

Any comments welcome.

Last edited: 24 Oct 2008
  2. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

I prefer the landscape one. I would crop the portrait one more so those remaining random treetop limbs in the middle/bottom edge are removed, they are distracting.

3. Omega Point

Omega Point Minimodder

Thanks, I have cropped it a bit more now.

4. Vers

Vers ...

I like them both, but prefer the portrait crop. The portrait style crop gives the image a conveyance of vertical movement making the balloon look as though it is rising upwards into some very ominous weather, which adds a lot of drama to the image. Fix up the sun a bit and you've got yourself a compelling shot.

5. Omega Point

Omega Point Minimodder

I agree about the sun, but unfortunately when I tried removing the flare I just ended up with an egg-timer shaped blob with green edges so I decided to leave it as it was.

6. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

landscape, I think the tree adds to it, BUT the dark portion looks like someone's thumb was blocking the shutter.

7. Vers

Vers ...

Did you try to duplicate the sun+rays then, on another layer, rotate 90deg. and then paste it over the existing sun+rays to make for a complete circle? It may work.

8. Omega Point

Omega Point Minimodder

Yeh, it is abit dark at the top. This is the origional image

[​IMG]
    Flickr Page

I think it was the black clipping which caused the extra darkness but without it the image appears a bit washed out (on my screen anyway). The only other thing I did apart from cropping it was correcting the white balance.

Just tried that and it sortof works, I haven't got photoshop (too expensive even with student discount) so I was using Paint.Net and I just couldn't get the colours to match up.

Tags: