1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Logitech G602 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Unicorn, 14 Sep 2013.

1. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

[​IMG]

After what seems like a lifetime, I am considering a change in gaming mouse. My Logitech G5 has served me well for the better part of 8 years now, and I am considering a change only because I have started playing BF3 recently. I feel that the additional buttons of the G602 might be useful, and also that wireless would be a nice upgrade now that Logitech have apparently cracked the battery life, report rate and wireless reception.

This is not a decision that I will take lightly. I love the weight, shape and overall feel of the G5 - like I said, I've been using it for almost 8 years and it has practically become an extension of my hand, especially when I'm gaming. I don't need to change, but I'm considering it for the above reasons.

I was advised to hold off on buying a G500S at the end of August because Logitech were coming out with something new and spectacular, and the G602 is what they were talking about. Right off the bat I have to say that I'm sceptical. The shape worries me, It's a very wide mouse with that thumb rest, and I've already got an MX Laser 1000 here with the same style of rest which is comfortable to use as a general ergonomic computer mouse, but which I moved away from as a gaming mouse for the more sleek and slender shape of the G5 all those years ago.

What does everyone think? I know that I'll have to get my hands on one to tell if I could adapt to it as a suitable successor to my beloved G5. I use the word successor because I don't think it can ever truly be replaced. It may be basic by today's standards, but it was one of the first gaming mice ever produced and I believe it's still one of the best.

So, is anyone else considering an upgrade and what do you think about the new mouse compared to what we've seen from Logitech before?

2. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I quite like the look of this mouse and I would buy it if I was upgrading to a wireless gaming mouse. I have a thumb rest of my RAT 5 and it's a nice addition to the mouse.

The other thing I quite like about this mouse is that it will run off a single battery. It would not be a deal breaker if it didn't but it's a nice touch.

3. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

I am definitely interested, my MX Revolution is slowly dying and the low DPI is a drag on two screens. I'm mainly interested in the extra buttons which I can use for work plus the free scroll wheel.

4. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I have had a brief play with the G602 and quite liked it ti be honest. Well built and quite nice in my hand.

I didnt get to use it in real world gaming terms purely because I was there to talk about the technology not play.

I should be getting one later this month. At least I hope so anyway.

Oh and did I mention free too...

The side buttons are well designed and placed unlike mistrside buttons I have seen. Raised and seperated enough to learn by memory the positions they are.

Being able to charge and play at the same time is also great news. This mouse has a lower dpi than many other mice.

Its part of a redesign over the G500/700.

They also recommended you buy the newly designed surface. Which was.created inline with the mice itself. In fact all testing of the mouse was done on the hard and soft surfaces they are also releasing.

Last edited: 15 Sep 2013
  5. Unicorn

I'd be interested in a change of mat as well - my Razer Exactmat is showing all the signs of a mat that has been extremely well used over the years, and I think it's time I upgraded it to a bigger and more comfortable one anyway.

My only concern with the G602 is that it's more G700 than it is G500, and the shape of the G500 was already pretty different from the G5. I'm sure I can get used to the change given enough time with it in game though, but will probably suck in BF3/BF4 until that happens :p

6. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I switched from a RAT3 to Corsair M65 to the G500 took some small getting used too. But I can say hasnt been of detriment to my gaming at all.

7. Unicorn

Yeah I'll probably be fine, it's just that I've never played competitively with anything but the G5 and I was so set in my ways whilst playing CSS for all those years, to the point where I had to have my chair set at exactly the right height to play well. If you lowered my chair just an inch, my aim would be completely off! I got a rude awakening when I attended my first LAN, so I've grown out of that now and become much more adaptive to my setup and surroundings :)

8. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

Having used a G700 for a while and after trying a 602 I'd recommend the 700 over the 602

Main points:
    700 still has more usable controls than 602
    602 lacks the freewheel style scroller (might be a positive for some, I missed it immeadiately)
    700 button positions are easier to reach and less ambiguous about which you're actually hitting.
    Option for wired or wireless (really makes little difference, but is nice at times)

9. longweight

Oh wow, the free scroll wheel is a deal breaker for me. Will have to get a 700 then!

10. Unicorn

They removed the free scroll wheel? Why?! I'm pretty sure that's a deal breaker for me too!

11. longweight

It's such an amazing feature.

12. Unicorn

I don't have it on the G5 and have it on the G700, and after a while using it on the G700 I find myself missing it when I move back to the G5.

13. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

That's a nice one. Maybe I will get it when my g500 dies but I just replaced both the clickers so that might be a while yet!

14. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

The free scroll is something I have gotten used to using. Only reason I will have the G602 is for review. When Logitech send it out anyway.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4

15. Unicorn

After giving the G602 a miss due to the absence free scroll wheel, I decided to try my G700 (which I normally carry around and use with my laptop) on my gaming setup. I was disappointed to find that the unifying receiver for my N305 wireless number pad interfered with it, making it prone to cursor lag and dropouts! I unplugged the unifying receiver and the problems stopped. Why does one Logitech device interfere with the other :confused: :sigh:

Anyway, I inserted my old G5 DPI and polling rate settings into a new profile on the G700 (love that feature!) and played a couple of rounds of BF3 with it earlier. I got on quite well - it has the same basic shape as the G5, so I think that with more game time I could get used to the change, but I'm not certain that I want to switch now that this wireless problem has come to light. I think the G700 will be going back to laptop duty and I might get a newer mouse such as the G700S which will hopefully not interfere with the unifying receiver.

Last edited: 13 Nov 2013
  16. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I love my G500. I was always an MX518 fan and at first the G500 felt enormous in my hand, but I could never go back to a smaller model now.

17. Unicorn

The 500 is definitely a beautiful mouse and I almost changed to one a few years ago, but there wasn't anything wrong with my good old G5 and I loved it too much to change at the time. I don't love it any less now, but playing wireless with the G700 last night was a joy, as were the extra 3 buttons at my thumb (which I assigned to tactical light/laser on/off, volume up & down and the existing melee). It's much more versatile than the G5 - I am using it right now on my laptop with a different onboard profile loaded :)

18. Unicorn

Well, I thought I loved the onboard profile feature of the G700, but ever since I started using it on my gaming desktop, it won't keep the DPI settings intact for any profile for more than a day! Apparently it's a bug with LGS which was reported to Logitech years ago and they have never fixed it. Double you tee eff Logitech :confused:

[edit 17-11-13]

After a few long sessions of BF3 wit hthe G700 today, I've put it back in my laptop bag, uninstalled LGS and gone back to the G5. My hand is aching because of the shallower, lower profile of the G700, and LGS lost my DPI settings several times just today. I never had hand cramp problems with the G5, no matter how long I played for. Maybe I'll get a G500S to try, assuming it has a more similar shape to the G5 than the G700.

Last edited: 17 Nov 2013