1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress REDELUX (18/1 Final pictures and video)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by quizz_kid, 19 Aug 2012.

1. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

[​IMG]

Hi guys. This is REDELUX, the all-in-one version of my arcade machine "R-Kaid-6".
    I´m making this for a German friend. For those who´ve missed out on the original machine, here´s a link

Ok, so the original was nice... Buuuuuut not enough.

Here´s the REDELUX:

Integrated beamer
    Integrated sound system
    Two wireless joysticks and trackball
    A new and improved custom made MAME frontend
    New frontpanel

The machine will have the same shape and measurements as its predecessor.

I´ll focus the log on the new stufz and try not to bore you with the same-same seen before.

Hope you´ll enjoy it, I know I will / Quizz :lol::lol::lol:

Edit: This is one of the final pictures, more can be found on page 6 of this thread.

[​IMG]

And here´s a video, if you´re interested in how it actually works:

Last edited: 11 Feb 2013
  2. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

And here´s the hardware:

A very small 120w PSU
    [​IMG]

A very ugly Dell Optiplex gx260, stuck(!) in its metal housing. With a 512GB it´ll do just fine :lol:
    [​IMG]

An old 120GB disk and the sound system
    [​IMG]

This is the Dell M110, a small LED projector. This little fella is surprisingly good, with 300 ANSI and very low heat generation. Since it will be integrated within the console, I´ll only use the remote. But the IR-sensor sits on the back, so to get it up front I had to come up with something. I decided to try a fiber cable for extension of the sensor and it worked! Glad I didn´t had to solder in there.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 20 Aug 2012
  3. Idioteque

Idioteque Telephasic Mongoose

Subbed. I like the cut of your jib.

4. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Oh yeah, i'm all eyes

5. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Awesome :D new quizz project. :clap::hip:

6. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Thanks guys!

For starters, this is my idea of the wireless trackball. Since there are no of such kind on the market I had to go all DIY on this. I bought a cheap long range wireless mouse and took it apart. The trackball housing I had laying around from an older project of mine.
    [​IMG]

And THIS is the beautiful 51mm Tiger Eye chatoyant. It will suit the walnut very well IMO.
    [​IMG]

And then I did some wood working

Six sides, cut and milled
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don´t know if it´s bad gluing or bad veneer, but it cracked at a few spots. I will try to fix it... or hide it somehow.
    [​IMG]

Hexagon under pressure
    [​IMG]

This is the feet of the foot stand. Because of the choice of output selection, monitor or beamer, this console will have to be moved around in the room. So I added some small brass wheels. I had to cut off the fittings because they were to big, but it was hard to find a replacement. The holes are 6.7mm and there´s no (standard)pegs in that size. I used a silicone tube over a M6, and it worked.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The front:
    [​IMG]

The hole to the right is for the beamer which will be vertically adjustable from underneath. More about that later.
    [​IMG]

Here are a nice brass fitting for the beamer and the startbutton.
    [​IMG]

I needed a thin piece of walnut for the back of the brass fitting and glued four veneer pieces together.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The biggest crack was on the front, and when I tried fixing it it just went worse...
    [​IMG]

This is one way of hiding it. What do you guys think about it? Too much bling maybe?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well, so long! :lol::lol::lol:

7. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D I was pretty tempted to buy 1 of those tiger eye rock marbles :D will make for a very awesome trackball & like you said will go with the walnut nicely, I really look forward to feeling confident enough to make my own custom peripherals like that, sweet modding quiz. :D

Maybe a simple brass plaque engraved would look better to cover the imperfection but I bet you could make that fit in place, it does look quite nice with the walnut, or a nice little simple pattern made from a different tone of veneer laid on top of the walnut. Just quick thoughts, not suggestions. :)

8. kelmannen

kelmannen What's a Dremel?

good to see you on another projekt quizz, good luck!

9. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

The tiger eye is mighty fine!! And yeah, maybe brass is too much there. I like your thoughts... Veneer patterns. I´ll look into it!

Thanks Kelmannen!

Ok, a small update:

Started on the controllers. This is the idea: The 1st player left part (where the joystick is) will be detachable from the rest of the pad, and the trackball can be docked right into it. More about that later.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And this is what I did to cover the cracks on the side panels. 4mm walnut frames

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

excellent solution man, the frames add a bit of depth to the face while also fixing the problem! And that marble is gorgeous as others have said!

I'm excited to see what you come up with for the track ball. I've had a similar idea myself for the past few years but I never took the time to actually try and make it. Hopefully you have some success! :thumb:

11. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Thank you! The frames do add a bit of depth. I'm also excited bout the trackball... Cant wait testing it.

12. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Todays work:

There was some minor cracks on the backside, so I made a fan grill to hide 'em. It´s a hexagon!! Will use brass pegs later
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also made the fan grill for the frontpanel.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some more work on the controllers.
    [​IMG]

... and the top piece is almost done
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Will take some days off now... Be back next week!

YAY!! :lol:

13. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

While waiting for some hardware I thought I´d maybe share another R-Kaid-6 product. It´s not as complex as the REDELUX, but it has some smart solutions to it. It´s a 4-player version, with wing doors hiding some of the electronics. I´ve changed the coiled cables for cotton sleeved ones. But what I´m most proud of is my locking mechanism. Hope you´ll like it! / Quizz

Doors closed, controllers on top
    [​IMG]

Doors opening
    [​IMG]

Expose of the inner panel
    [​IMG]

With the four controllers
    [​IMG]

3 m Cotton sleeved cables.
    [​IMG]

Close up
    [​IMG]

Linked cables
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Backside/table top decoration
    [​IMG]

This is the locking device. It´s a small walnut knob hidden under the chassis. It locks/keeps the doors in place by turning the knob in one direction. When turning it the opposite direction, it gives the door a slight push to get them wide open. I´m very proud about it :lol:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 3 Sep 2012
  14. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Oh man, it's another one of your beautiful wooden consoles. It reminds me of a pong console;
    It's got sound built in, doesn't use cartridges and it's all wooden =p

But seriously this is ace work as usual.

15. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Thank you friend! I actually got a chance to play the original Pong cabinet this summer, it´s such a beauty...

16. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Nice solution with the frames. :)

And wowzers you've been busy creating :D when did you do the new 4 player one with nifty lock, very nice & tidy. :thumb:

17. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

Looking great! Can I ask how you cut the holes in the walnut frame that had the chipping? I was just curious if a spiral router bit with the correct direction (up or down, depending on which way you had it) would work better

18. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Thanks Waynio! I´ve been quite busy lately yes. I made it during summer vaccation :lol:

Thanx! If yore referring to the holes on the hexagon I used straight bits... I have no spiral ones, but I might buy one and try it out. But I think it was a combination of dry veneer and bad gluing this time.

19. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

yeah, the holes in the hexagon, I'm a little behind :lol: Just a thought for something to try. I have a few down and up cut spiral bits, depending on whether I'm using them in my router table, or hand held, and which surface I have the router against. They seem to cut a little smoother, and leave a little cleaner edge for me.

20. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

Awesome woodworking. Looks really nice.