1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Advice on a DIY Three Axis CNC Machine

Discussion in 'Modding' started by batou222, 11 Sep 2012.

1. batou222

batou222 What's a Dremel?

Hi Guys,

I'm going to start a Scratchbuild next year sometime and will be working with Aluminium for the first time.

I'm not new to modding and have modded and WC my latest machine in an Antec P183 V3. Also built a Plexi case quite a few years back when it was very new (and when i was very young so don't dare show pics of its quality on here!).

I'm looking at my design i've done on Sketchup and it seems that I can make most of the structure using a mitre dropsaw or similar but i'm wondering if havine a CNC will help out a lot when it comes to the custom designed parts and cutouts for fans ect?

So those out there with CNC machines what is good to look for? I've found the following guide which looks really good and simple: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-a-Three-Axis-CNC-Machine-Cheaply-and-/
    It Also uses wood for its construction which I'm very familiar working with.

Has anyone had experience building one? Or can recommend one that will come in around a similar price as buying one? I'm in Australia so it is hard/more expensive to order one locally.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. kinghong1970

kinghong1970 Just a Clumsy Ape

the image in link is a cnc router.
    for cnc router, cheap way or expensive way, pretty much motors, bearings and rails costs are fixed and about the same.

some folks make a mdf machine and slowly mill out aluminum replacement body parts.

for milling aluminum, you will probably want a rigid machine with a strong gantry with less flex.

cncrouterparts.com is where i have purchased my parts of a diy machine.
    cnczone.com is a good site to get some info and education on a cnc router.

cheers.

3. batou222

batou222 What's a Dremel?

Thanks King

I've noticed that a lot will build a temporary machine and mill out a more sturdy one, seems to be the way to go.

I checked out that site for parts, gives me a rough idea. Although shipping plus local taxes make it too expensive for me.

I'll jump over to the CNCZone forums too, Just discovered those guys recently looks like a wealth of information available on there!

Cheers!