1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Noctua NH-L12 review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 17 Dec 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

"It's been nearly three years since we last saw a cooler from Australian manufacturer Noctua"

It does get pretty hot in Oz, I guess that explains why they make such good coolers.

3. rici1241

rici1241 Minimodder

Noctua is Austrian, not Australian.

They do make some very good cooler's, and quite ones.

4. Parge

Yep :thumb:

5. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Bit-tech in proof-reading shocker! Do you guys not proof-read at all? ;)

6. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

They're partnered with that other Australian country that makes motorbikes, KTM.

7. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Haha, oh dear, my bad :p fixed now, thanks!

8. mikeyandrewb

mikeyandrewb What's a Dremel?

Man that's ugly....

9. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Why do they persist with that horrible colour scheme?

10. Parge

I know. Its absolutely rank. Do they not understand that aesthetics are important!?

11. rici1241

rici1241 Minimodder

I think there reasoning is that it makes them stand out from the competition, and be more recognisable.
    It certainly does that, but its hideous.

12. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

I like the color scheme. Makes the product feel more professional as it doesn't rely on flashy plastic parts like say, a cooler master v8.

13. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Logic fail; the fan itself is the ugly part due to the colour-nearly all fans are made of plastic, yet most brands are sensible enough to stick with black, white, silver or clear for the frame and blades as they look nicer and match most cases. Light brown matches nowt ( company spiel is that it reflects their eco friendly attitude with its earthly colours... ).

14. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

The colors don't bother me one bit, I sorta wish more companies went with this style, it gives it a bit of a retro feel, like something I might find buried in an old office somewhere. :)

15. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

How does it cope with the odd (and inconvenient) socket placement on S1155 ITX boards?
    If the information that the retention mechanism doesn't require a backplate is important, then this is doubly so. Does it fit on a S1155 ITX board with a graphics card?

16. Benihana

Benihana What's a Dremel?

I'm wondering if the other components were low enough, could you use the larger 120mm fan underneath instead of the 92mm? I'm building an HTPC with the Silverstone GD04 and the cooler height is 70mm, so this seems like a good bet, but Noctua also have a 140mm low profile cooler...

17. Benihana

Benihana What's a Dremel?

In case anyone else wondered about my question:

"Is it possible to install the supplied NF-F12 or other 120mm fans underneath the fin stack?
    The NF-B9 92mm fan is used underneath the fin stack because it gives easy access to the mounting screws and sits within the 95x95mm (Intel) and 96x114mm (AMD) keep-out zones, thus providing full compatibility with standard height RAM and chipset/VRM heatsinks. In principle, it is also possible to put the supplied NF-F12 120mm fan underneath the fin stack instead, but in many cases, this setup will cause compatibility issues with RAM and/or chipset/VRM heatsinks. Similar issues are likely to arise with other 120mm fan models and in addition, some fans may be blocked by the mounting screws and/or block access to the screws. As a result, using 120mm fans underneath the fin stack may be possible in some cases, but is not officially supported."

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=faqs&step=2&products_id=46&lng=en#13

18. Dogbert666

I can't say whether it will fit on every LGA1155 mini-ITX board, but it can fit on an Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe w/ a graphics card, for example.

19. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

Not a good example, unfortunately, because that motherboard is one of the few S1155 mITX-sized boards that has the socket away from the PCIe slot.

Compare the Asus P8Z77-I:
    [​IMG]

To the Asrock Z77E-I:
    [​IMG]

The layout of the Asrock is far, FAR more common in S1155 mITX motherboards, such as the one I have.
    Because of this inconvenient layout, the perfect Scythe Big Shuriken that I have sitting idle is looking for a home in some other flimsy excuse I can invent to spend money. My HSF needs something to do - that's a good excuse to build another system, right?

20. Dogbert666

Fair point. We have a Zotac Z77 wifi ITX board in the labs somewhere I think. If you want (and providing I have time/remember) then on Friday I can mount it (or attempt to)? No promises though :p

Tags: Add Tags