1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics GPU Video Decoding

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dec, 14 Mar 2009.

1. dec

dec [blank space]

I'm looking at cheap laptops to buy. I watch alot of videos in different formats (WMV, DivX, H.264, MP1/2/4). Currently my desktop is slow to decode these files and I need a notebook GPU that will decode all of them faster than my desktop. My price range limits me to ATI's 3650 and Nvidia's 9600M GS. I looked on their websites for specifcally what formats are supported for GPU decoding. Both Purevideo (HD) and UVD say they decode all the formats I watch but ati.com says it decodes VC-1 which I think is WMV but im not sure. Anyone know if VC-1 = WMV? On nvidia.com there is a Purevideo decoder that you have to buy to use. Does nvidia expect me (and anyone who guys their cards) to also buy this decoder to make purevideo (HD) actually work?

2. mr00Awesome

mr00Awesome YEAH SWEET LEMONADE

It more comes down to processor than gpu, but I could be mistaken. My laptop does 1080 videos fine, but it pegs my cpu. It has a turion RM-70 @2 ghz and a 3650.

3. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

Remember only certain apps will take advantage of gpu video decoding so it's more about what format's the program supports than anything else.

4. dec

dec [blank space]

oh yea :sigh: wheres the person who wrote the video converter that sells for free and acutally uses the gpu acceleration?