1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Dropbox criticised for Rice board membership

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 11 Apr 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I guess they have a point, but when they claim 'an organisation we are trusting with our most important business and personal data?' it makes them come across as people who don't know much about privacy.
    Trusting important business and personal data on infrastructure you don't have control over shows a lack of understanding on what the Internet is.

3. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

I don't see what all the fuss is about, it's not like she is a war criminal..... What there is no fuss? Smh.

4. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

If you don't trust the company and/or have important private data you wish to store then encrypt before you upload. That way even the company storing your data can't access it.

5. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Well I was cancelling my dropbox subscription when it expires at the end of the year anyway so don't really care which war monger torturers they let sit at their table.

I'm quite happy to trust dropbox (as much as I trust any of them) but why should I pay $99 a year to dropbox when I can get the same service from google for $24? Also to my knowledge Google doesn't have

I use Dropbox, Google Drive, SkyDrive and Crashplan as backup destinations, with Crashplan being a paid account that stores 1.5TB of my data. Dropbox has about 75GB. Google & MS get a subset of some key folders.

SkyDrive upload speeds are an absolute joke and google runs at the same speed as Dropbox so for my use case I can move to a paid Google account, drop dropbox (ha!) to a free account and be $75 a year better off.

DropBox gets price hammered by google and then puts this lady on the board. Brilliant marketing guys. Sheer brilliance.