1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress So Say We All - BitFenix Prodigy, UPDATED 11-1-13

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by JitsuSparty, 25 Aug 2012.

1. JitsuSparty

JitsuSparty Minimodder

Ok so Project Log, right here goes...

Introduction:

Basically I have all my media on a NAS drive and one day I got fed up of having to move my main PC every time I wanted to watch media on my TV. So I started looking around the net to see what was out there, cutting a long story short I came across the BitFenix Prodigy and it seemed ideal for what I wanted to do.

So I ordered one online without thinking about modding it - then I came across a few mods online (watercooling, powdercoating etc) and thought to myself - hey I could do that :) First case arrived damaged :( but was replaced very quickly so :D but this gave me time to think about a theme for the case Mod.

The Grand Design

I started thinking how could I design the mod around my LAN/Uni Nick - but all the ideas were basically a bit s**te. Then I had a bit of inspiration (possibly after a drink or two or more) - a Battlestar Galactica (BSG) themed mod.

For those of you who dont know what BSG is it's a sci fi show that was remade recently (I watched the original growing up) - and my mod is basically themed around this bit of imagery

http://hbowatch.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/battlestar_galactica_logo-HBO.jpg

any way I made a few sketches (I will look to post a few perhaps - Im not a great artist)... so heres my progress so far (word of warning my weekend shall be the time when I can work on this so expect weekly updates)

Project Log

25/8/12

[​IMG]

So the case arrived - first thing I did was to take it apart slowly - but not slowly enough, managed to snap one of the plastic tabs clean off (job for araldite later in the project). I then drilled out all the rivets on the case (some with the application of hammer and screwdriver).

The case mod revolves around creating a window in one side and a motif cut/etched into the other side. This involved swapping the sides over, as I removed the pcb board with the power supply rest button etc.

[​IMG]

As I am sure you know sqaures don't exsist in BSG - everything remotly rectangular seems to have the corners cut off - so I started by sketching up the area to be cut out to make the window. I also printed out a stencil to get an idea of fonts to use later on, the initial idea was to put the acrylic on the inside of the case - so I could just glue it on and not worry about it having to look too neat.

Anyway the acryllic arrived and I realised that the clearance inside the case between the side panel and internals isn't enough to put the window on the inside :( so I had the idea - why not put it on the outside and 'carefully' rivet it on.

[​IMG]

So as you can see from above I have cut out a very rough template for the window... all I can say is safety specs are a must, acrylic seems to like breaking, and my Dremel wannabe (from Maplins) kept throwing little pieces of acrylic into my face.

anyway plan for tomorrow is to try and start cutting out the metal for the window. As well as try to get my sketch pics onto here.

Last edited: 4 Oct 2012
    adidan likes this.
  2. JitsuSparty

JitsuSparty Minimodder

Reserved for update

3. JitsuSparty

JitsuSparty Minimodder

reserved for another update

4. JitsuSparty

JitsuSparty Minimodder

Update 29/8/12

[​IMG]
    So this is my initial concept design - the aim is to focus on the two side panels, firstly putting in a side window (mentioned above) and then secondly getting the phoenix from this cut into the side

[​IMG]

Seeing as I work at an engineering company I had a chat with the guys and had my expectations scaled back a bit - as the clearance between the lines is too tight to laser cut or get made. So back to the drawing board there.

anyway I plan to make some more progress over the weekend.

Last edited: 15 Sep 2012
  5. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Instead of getting it cut straight out of the side panel, what about getting the pieces cut separately then mounting it to a clear plexi window?

Apophis54 likes this.
  6. JitsuSparty

JitsuSparty Minimodder

Now you just thought of the solution I did, currently in the middle of sketching it out on some paper :)

7. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Just on the second season of BSG now! have to say it's awesome and your mod looks to be the same :D

Good luck :D

8. JitsuSparty

JitsuSparty Minimodder

Thanks - and I do plan this mod to be spolier free.

9. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

Especially the episode when....... :D

In case you have not seen this :Colonial Warbook, it has lots of artwork etc might inspire something. :dremel:

10. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Glad to hear it :) I can come back now lol

Apophis54 likes this.
  11. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

There's a guy Teelzebub knows who does very detailed work on case panels etc. which he has some pic examples of. He's very good, does exhibition work etc. Why not contact Tel to see if you can realise what you actually want.

chrismarkham1982 and Apophis54 like this.
  12. JitsuSparty

JitsuSparty Minimodder

To be honest - right now I am not sure what I actually want, Unlike the ubiquitous cylons I don't really have a plan and am winging it a bit.

One thing I do know is I want to get my hands dirty as much as I can - so will be borrowing my mates mill and power tools in the near future.

13. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Just seen this, Yea the guy I know could do that in his sleep, tbh he's pretty busy doing big projects really.

Apophis54 likes this.
  14. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

BSG mods need rep, have some mate. :)

Think I just gave you 4 lights :)

15. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Yea it was only 4 Dan I would have expected better of you :p

Last edited: 29 Aug 2012
  16. JitsuSparty

JitsuSparty Minimodder

Thanks for the rep :)

anyway a quick update preview before I hit the sack.

Update 29/8/12 part B

So having done a few sketches this evening and looked at the case I decided I need to get a bit more color into the project, so the plan is to cut a ~ 10 cm diameter hole in the side of the case. I plan to put a circular piece of acryllic in the hole (possibly colored) with a decal/symbol on it that will be back lit from within the case.

as for the main window - I am torn between a centurion etch for the window or Gaius Baltar (My favorite BSG character - mainly from series 1 tho)

17. jamesriley94

jamesriley94 What's a Dremel?

One of the first proper prodigy mods I've seen - Interested to see where this heads

Apophis54 likes this.
  18. jon

jon Chief Phrenologist

You had me at "So say we all ...." :)

19. whatsthatnoise

whatsthatnoise What's a Dremel?

Woaah, I hate that egocentric maniac! :wallbash: I'd go with the Centurion, ofc.

Love the series though, should make an awesome theme for a mod. :thumb:

20. jon

jon Chief Phrenologist

ah, but ... where goes Gaius Baltar, so goes Caprica Six ...:clap: