1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant PC Format magazine prefers Windows 8

Discussion in 'General' started by TheGreatSatan, 10 Nov 2013.

1. TheGreatSatan

TheGreatSatan Member for 17 years!

I read the article in the Nov issue of PC format where they are comparing £500 gaming machines. The winning machine doesn't get a full five stars and the only hit they give it is a lack of Windows 8.

Windows 8 sucks.

My job is going over the process with people step-by-step to build them computers. Most of the time people come in and want a gaming machine and they never want Windows 8. We sell Windows 7 in 90%+ of the machines we piece together.

I hate the interface (NOT made for desktops) and will stick with Windows 7 until they make something actually better.

What are your thoughts? Do you prefer Windows 7 or 8 in a gaming machine?

2. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

I don't care at all. Windows 8 or windows 7 is fine with me. People make far too much fuss over the tiled start menu...which I never use since I've always used the win key then typed my program name is to find it.

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

My Gaming PC is Windows 8.1...
    All the rigs I've specced up and/or built for people, gaming or otherwise recently have had windows 8/8.1... The few that haven't have been Linux...
    My windows 7 disk hasn't been touched in nearly a year...

And regardless of all that, my personal feelings towards windows 8 are largely irrelevant... I wouldn't touch any of the overpriced, badly made, bug-ridden shiny **** apple vomit forth with a very long stick, even if they paid me [even when they paid me]... But if you wanted to go out and buy a Macbook tomorrow, that's your choice and I wouldn't stop you [though i may try and talk you out of it]... If the people I build PCs for want windows 8 [or don't], good for them... Isn't personal preference a wonderful thing... I draw the line at XP though... XP can die in a fire...

Also reviews are a very subjective thing... look at Bit's review of Arkham Origins for instance... PC format think the pc lacking Windows 8.x is detrimental... you disagree... let's just leave it at that and get on with life... or take it to the W8 Marmite thread

Last edited: 10 Nov 2013
  4. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

See also: Windows 8 Marmite Thread. Seriously. Every argument that is about to be made for or against Windows 8 has already been hashed out, ad nauseum, in that thread.

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Here we go again.

Win 8.1 + Start 8 = problem solved. Way better than Win 7. People have a problem with Metro so just don't use it!

6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Here we go again, indeed.
    You are afraid of change, so you don't like Windows 8, even thought more and more people that give Win8 a try, loves it or have no problem with it, without any tweaks or Start Menu replacement.

The Start Screen wont' change, it's here to stay. Get with the times, get your head out of your ass, and learn something new... in a serious mater.

If I was looking for a system, I demand Win8 64-bit (well 8.1 now).
    When I build a system for some one, I ask which OS they want, and recommend Windows 8.
    I give them a quick tour of Windows 8, and they understand that the Start Screen is just the Start Menu, but full screen, and break the barrier they initially saw, and 100% of them are satisfied. That is with a promise that I'll pay Win7 for them, if they don't like Win8. In fact, I show them the Win7 OEM box, still warped.

On forum, the same story. This is Windows XP all over again.
    By Windows 9, much like Windows 7, you'll be forced due to software and hardware compatibility, and you'll like it after.

7. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

why is it way better than Win 7 ? i wanted to try Win 8 but the UI always put me off.

8. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Fast boot. Better task manager.

9. GoodBytes

Why Windows 8 is better than 7:
    -> More responsive.
    -> Lighter on the system.
    -> Slight gaming performance boost .
    -> Noticeable improvement with AMD CPU's.
    -> DirectX 11.2
    -> New Task Manager
    -> File History
    -> Storage Space
    -> Improve native sensor support
    -> Faster Startup
    -> Skype integration
    -> XBox Music (free - unlimited music streaming in High quality out of 30 million song library and growing - available in some countries)
    -> Ability to open command prompt where you are in the folder
    -> Power Menu
    -> Less intrusive update
    -> MSE integrated
    -> Full UEFI support
    -> Integrated web search
    -> Sync accounts settings, including Wi-Fi passwords between systems
    -> Improved SSD support
    -> Maintenance scheduler (execute Windows and program maintenance on a scheduled time)
    -> AF (Advance Format) support without emulation
    -> Hyper-V
    -> ISO loading as in virtual drive
    -> NFC support
    -> Meter connection detection
    -> Auto switch to best network connection (wired <> wireless)
    -> Instant connect on wireless form wakeup
    -> Wi-Fi Direct support
    -> NFC printing
    -> 3D printer API
    -> Take and save screen shot as PNG in a keyboard shortcut
    and more...

The Start Screen feels intimidating at first, but once you learn it, and do cool stuff like showing the desktop background on it, and organize the layout, pin your most accessed folders, and pin your games for a direct launch experience. It all become easy to use with mouse and keyboard. You just have to pass through the learning curve.

Ficky Pucker likes this.
  10. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

LOL, how long have you used Windows 8 for? You do realise that you can set 8.1 to boot to desktop AND it has the famous menu button!

So what is wrong with Windows 8 when you can boot to desktop and it has the menu button on the taskbar?

11. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Splitting hairs a bit but couple of corrections/clarifications...

12. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Alright, alright... I'm going to give it a go myself soon. 8.1 baby yeah!

13. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Nothing wrong with windows 8.1

14. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Please stop using this.

This is used every time somebody voices an opinion against Windows 8 and it simply isn't true. We don't use Windows 8 at work because most of our software won't run on it. Our users don't like or want it and as far as real life goes, nobody I've met has had a good word to say about it.

It's like Coca Cola changing the recipe of their soft beverage and calling it 'New Coke'. It still looked like a surgery bark brown carbonated drink, but the taste was wrong. You wouldn't tell those people they're afraid of change, because what they were drinking simply wasn't Coke.

Changing the GUI, hiding the MRU, making people type in programs into a search box is not what the average user wants. It's what the Microsoft engineers wanted, it's what touch screen device users wanted, but for our users - no.

For them, the computer world is a dark and scary place. For some of them, they'd rather be using quills and parchment than laptops. I won't be the one telling them to man the **** up, nor will I be installing mods for them to bring back features.

15. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Not really. The start screen is a bit meh, but it can be bypassed so easily with both free and paid for start menus its a non issue. I rarely see the new interface unless I specifically want to.

16. freshsandwiches

freshsandwiches Can I do science to it?

17. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I would recommend 8.1 to pretty much everyone unless they had some very special use case that truly made it unsuitable otherwise.
    Install the trial on a PC as the only OS and use it until it expires without any gui mods or replacements, I dare you. I bet you will want to keep using it by the time is up if you get to know it. Even the dread start screen is awesome if you take a little time to get it organized and take advantage of application groups.
    I had very dislike for 8 when it arrived and stuck with 7. When 8.1 arrived I did the above and I couldn't see myself wanting to go back.

18. Uncle Psychosis

Uncle Psychosis Classically Trained

You can repeat that lie as often as you like but it doesn't make it true. :wallbash:

People happily use a different interface on kindles, android tablets, iPads, mobile phones from dozens of different manufacturers, macbooks, about a million flavours of linux, unix workstations, tesco hudls, etc etc etc. They even like Windows 8 on a touchscreen device.

People who don't like Windows 8 on a desktop are not scared of change, they just don't like Metro on a desktop PC.

Comrade Woody likes this.
  19. GoodBytes

no... because you go "It's not the Windows I was used to".

Beside, Windows 8 Apps downloads are growing fast:
    http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/11/mi...-downloads-in-october-up-nearly-40-from-june/

This indicated that more and more people like the Start Screen/Modern UI interface.

20. Uncle Psychosis

Uncle Psychosis Classically Trained

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

"People who don't like playing football are just scared of exercising"

"People who don't like marmite are just scared of trying new foods"

"People who don't like Bangkok are just scared of foreign places"

"People who don't like W8 are just scared of new things".

People who don't like W8 are not "wrong". They're not "scared". They just have different taste to you. Deal with it.