1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning [Project Log] The Hive - AM1 [Scratch Build] HTPC

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Impatience, 11 Apr 2014.

1. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Right, starting a project log.. I've read the sticky and looking at other peoples logs I have a good idea as what to do.

Starting off, here's a little about me! My name's Robert/Rob/Bob/Whatever, i'm 19 and recently i've built my first PC! It's a "Very low budget" gaming PC, by comparison to many of the beautiful build logs i've been reading. (It only cost me £450. Untill I started playing with lighting and the fans..) The only problem now is i've caught the bug for building and modding!

So that's the past and that leads us neatly to The Hive! "The Hive?" I hear nobody say, "Whats that?" Well, The Hive is a concept i've had for a while now and I feel it's time to try my hand at building another PC.. This time from scratch.

The idea behind this build is that (Apart from my Gaming/DJ desk) the TV is one of the main social areas of my shared student house. So therefore the PC should be there, to let films be watched and music played etc.. This hub of activity would have data coming from other PC's, the internet and DVD/Blurays and that made me think of it as a beehive! With all the bees being the data going in and out of "The Hive".

If you haven't realised already, this is a Scratch Build HTPC that is going to look a *bit* like a beehive. As i'm on a limited budget, parts needed to be cheap and the cooling requirements minimal.

So far i've got a load of MDF for the case and have made myself a true modder by buying a Dremel and bits for it. :dremel: I've also bought a cheapie (read, £20) 32Gb SSD for storage, 2Gb RAM from an old PC and a 300w SFX PSU. For CPU and Mobo i'm planning on using an AMD 5350 APU and the ASUS AM1M-A mATX motherboard, which should both be arriving soonish.

My cooling is planned to be using one 200mm fan running at low RPM (so it's silent pretty much) as the entire case will have the 'hive style vents on the edges so it's essentially an open air case. A simple dust filter on the top and the fan acting as an intake will stop the problem of dust settling in the case as well.

Updates will follow soon!

Last edited by a moderator: 25 May 2014
  2. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

This looks like it will be a project log to me - as soon as there are some pics of the work in progress, we'll move it over into the Project Logs section.

Until then - I'll leave it here, and I look forward to seeing more :)

3. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

It will be a project log once i've finished the design ideas and received my paycheck to allow me to get the remaining parts! :thumb: I just put it on here as it's only planning so far..

A little update though.. My PSU and SSD have arrived! :clap: Also, i've decided on the rest of the contents of this build! I'll be using an ASUS AM1M-A Motherboard for this build as the yellow and black theme of the board works well with my hive naming. I think that all of the build will be done in a similar colour scheme (apart from the casing, which will be white) I have no idea how to link pictures on this, but here's an attempt? :worried: Otherwise you could probably copy/pasta the link inbetween the IMG bits to see..?

[​IMG]

Pictures will be posted soon of my plans, parts and everything else soon. My main rig has been playing up and refusing to boot windows.. :duh: So i'll have to sort out that before I can upload my own pics I think.

Also, this is a (sort of) plea for help.. Is there anyone thats scratch built a PC on here that could tell me how they made the motherboard tray bits? Otherwise I may have to get one of those Lian Li mobo trays and cut it to size.. :hehe:

EDIT:

Here's a two pictures.. They're not great (I dont have any decent software for making 3D designs/rendering, so paint was the easy way to put mind to screen!) but they show you how I'm planning on making this build.

This is a picture showing how I'd like the exterior to be (roughly):

[​IMG]

Note that the circle on top represents a 200mm fan (as air intake) that will have a dust filter on it. The air will get flushed through the casing, which should cater for all the heat produced by the components and as dust always falls down, it should stop any dust from entering the case!

And for the (2D representation of the 3D) layout! There's this:

[​IMG]

From botttom to top, parts are:
    - Blu-ray Drive
    - Mobo tray
    - SSD & Mobo (Yellow is outputs)
    - Green = PCIe Cards, Red = RAM
    - That Purple box? It's a SFX PSU

The Mobo in that pic is a DTX mobo ala Biostar, but I will be using the ASUS shown above, so the mobo will be edge to edge. Also, if the stock APU cooler needs a lot of room, I will have to put the PSU on it's side and stretch the case a little (as in that design it's suspended over the motherboard!)

Last edited: 14 Apr 2014
  4. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Quick update.. I know this is a slow start, but i'm running on a low budget. Anyhooo' payday has come, so more parts ordered! :D New parts are as follows:
    - Blu-ray drive
    - AMD 5350
    - ASUS AM1M-A

Leaving the only issues to be the case fan (what to use) and the motherboard tray/case bits (unless I can manage to make one myself?) and then the case buttons/front panel!

But I see no reason to hold back since they wont affect the rest of the build (as they'll be mounted on the top panel, except the mobo tray ofc!) so i'm going to start measuring out the cuts on the wood and start building this! :lol:

If you want to suggest a fan, i've created a thread in the Hardware section (in case it turns into a fanboy war, geddit? :hehe: ) link:
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=270859

5. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Sad news.. I was hoping to post an update showing the start of the case build.. Only I've now found out that I cannot cut the MDF straight with my Dremel, due to the size of the disc being too small for the MDF sheeting (6mm)! :wallbang: So i'm now waiting *again* for a saw to arrive in the post!

On the other hand, I now have picked up from other threads on this forum as to how I can:
    - Manage the cabling
    - Mount the motherboard without having to purchase one of the Lian Li trays
    - Cool the components effectively and silently
    - Cut the PCI slots out of the case and hold them into place

The last point will be achieved using the same method (Sorry for copying you.. :worried: It's just a great method IMHO) as Meelobee's project, "Project 720". It's a great project, so i'd check it out!

Link is below:
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=265781

Unfortunately all this means MORE delays to the build, :waah: BUT once that saw arrives it'll be 'all systems go' to complete the build! :rock: Although it does allow me to do the stereotypical "here's all of my parts" photo for the build! :3

One final point for this update: The cost. I'm pretty much a student (on a working gap year), so naturally I dont have enough cash for something like some of the builds on here! But I set myself the target of building the COMPLETE system for £150. And the good news is, i'm well on track for the target! :rock: The expenditures look a bit like this:

40.00 - CPU/APU (AMD 5350)
    21.00 - PSU (300w SFX)
    24.00 - MOBO (ASUS AM1M-A)
    35.00 - ODD (Samsung Slim Blu-ray)
    22.00 - SSD (Kingspec 32Gb)
    00.00 - RAM (Reusing 2Gb)
    00.00 - GPU (Built into APU)
    06.00 - Case Materials
    00.00 - Fans (Reusing a 120mm & 200mm)

Total Cost = £148

This doesn't include case buttons or a front panel though.. (Not that it'll need one, HDMI will be used for sound and that's on the mobo.. Along with USB's!) So it'll just be over that once i've included the power button and spray for the case! :clap:

6. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Came home today to find this at my door! :thumb:
    [​IMG]

What could this mystery box be? Well, thanks to the speedy delivery from Novatech, it's my Blu-Ray drive!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Only thing is, this is a slim drive (what I ordered) so it has different Sata cabling?! (Not what I expected! Now, to find out if I can get an adaptor, or if I have to RMA and get a full-sized drive.. *Pfft*

Last edited: 3 May 2014
  7. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Updat... Well, not the update I originally wanted! :duh: In short, the pictures of the panels aren't on this post because they're taking a little longer to cut than anticipated.. (I've only got a dremel and a jr. hacksaw for cutting equipment!) And that elusive parts shot? Well, a certain retailer has managed to lose (or so it seems) my order in the delivery process! So much for the big update over the past weekend!
    But I'm going to soldier on, and these little setbacks aren't going to stop me! :nono:

8. ceryni

ceryni Idiot

I'm really excited to see how you manage this. I was planning on doing something similar for myself and the gf when we move in together this summer. (graduating Uni this year)

I look forward to seeing it all and I'm going to have to take some pointers from you ;)

however, from a woodworking perspective, you would be better off with a different saw to a hacksaw. Hacksaws in general are a bit crap for wood.

grab a tenon saw, they're usually about £5-10 from B&Q if you get a stanley or something cheapish (maybe ebay):

http://www.toolstop.co.uk/component.../product/ae8c91952d8693d2ae75ebbb06f1e794.jpg

they're just better for cutting wood in general.
    I'm completely fresh out of the box new in the PC world but I like to make stuff.

Let me know how you get on with that saw though. perhaps the MDF will yield to the hacksaw reasonably.

9. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

@ceryni I know it's not the best saw for the job.. It's more of a "me not having much money or storage space, look for the cheapest alternative that could work"..

Also, remember the APU and Mobo I'd ordered? Well the company I ordered it from managed to lose it in delivery! Leaving me with a refund (minus a few quid) and no parts.. :wallbang: Although that was probably good news as I received an unexpected bill..
    Read, a HUGE bill!
    Now I probably wont be able to afford to finish this build, it seems.. :( However, I will complete it (minus the Mobo & APU) as I have the parts and I want to build the case! :thumb:
    Then if anyone wants to buy it (for the price of the components) after and put in the Mobo/APU/CPU themselves.. I'm open to the idea.

10. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Update! :rock:

I have a BIG update for you, that'll be coming in two parts.. One coming later, because I dont have the pictures ready yet! :hehe:

Following Ceryni's advice, I bought a tenon saw.. Managed to nab a Draper (nice rubber handle lining and all!) for £3 inc P&P from the 'bay, which i'm pretty happy with! :thumb: Now i've got a devent cutting tool for the MDF, I started drawing out the cutting templates:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also cut out a few of the panels, but didn't get around to taking pictures.. (Cue me doing this update in two posts, one being later tonight!)

Not only that, but the parts that I got a refund for after not turning up.. Turned up. After a chat to the retailer, they showed no signs of wanting the parts back
    they definitely weren't asking for them!
    and after a week of the email conversation, they haven't replied.. I believe the normal convention means I HAVE FREE GOODIES! :clap: With this news, i'll be able to finish the project and make it fully working! :D

So, in the usual way.. Here's a massive spam of the components! :hehe:

The SFX PSU:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 200mm system fan that i'll be using:

[​IMG]

The Mobo that arrived (ASUS AM!I-A):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now that's what I call a packed IO! And to think there's more expensive mobo's with a lot less space being filled on them..

[​IMG]

And there's the obligatory socket-shot for all those that like these pics!

[​IMG]

There's the pretty standard IO shield

[​IMG]

And to round up the Mobo goodies, there's two decent looking SATA cables!

The APU, an AMD 5350 (same as originally ordered):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's quite a dent in the packaging! Let's hope that it still runs ok.. :worried:

[​IMG]

This is actually a really small chip! And the packaging with the heatsink inside is pretty tiny too!

[​IMG]

And finally, for the last part of the update.. The SSD. This was a cheap drive, so wasn't expecting much from it! But when it arrived, it was a horrible grey coloured casing.. I COULDN'T stand it, as it was sort of bleached whiter in some bits! So I did what must be done.. I tested it to check it worked then straight after, I took off the casing and sprayed it white. MUCH better now! I forgot to take a pic before with the horrible grey :duh: but I probably did you lot a favour by doing that! :hehe: Here's the white version:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next step will be the cutting of the parts, buying some staples and modding the PSU!

Last edited: 17 Jun 2014
  11. ceryni

ceryni Idiot

This is awesome. Keep us updated.
    Glad to hear the tenon saw going well. I was forced to cut fence posts with a bow saw last weekend. NOT FUN.
    Right tool for right job is a must. And never use a blunt axe.

I have a few things I have to do myself lined up: Building both parents new PC's in their respective houses, a £20 mATX linux machine from spares, Main PC upgrade, testing a job lot of about 8 HDD's I got for free, and finally I want to make a raspberry pi machine in an old Cigar box with a slimline DVD drive to stick under someones TV :D ;)

12. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Cheers! :thumb: Unfortunately the PSU modding is on hold due to me having an unexpected call from the fraud squad! :wallbash: But come Friday, i'll have one of those Dremel multi-solder things on order and some sleeving!
    I wont need much for this project, as the majority of the wiring will be completely hidden, so it seems a bit of a waste.. Considering I have a tiny budget for this, and i'm buying tools as well!

But untill them i'm going to be sawing like crazy to try and get the case panels cut out! :clap: I've worked out a way (I think :hehe:) that I can get most of the case to join together, so I wont need a million screws in it! I'll be using Gorilla Glue for attaching it, just because I have a large bottle of it handy! Also, i've slightly modified the internals as i'm stealing the slim drive for my main rig :lol: So it's now going to have a "fat" DVD drive instead.. Which actually makes the build easier for me as well.. (NOT the reason, promise ;) )

[​IMG]

Oh, and that's the updated layout i'm thinking of using.. You'll notice it's VERY clean, as you'll only see the mobo, SSD and PSU inside.. And the most cable you'll see is the ~5cm PSU and CPU cable! Although I may be able to hide the CPU cable as well.. :hehe: This is going to have a black and white theme to it, with hints of yellow from the motherboard.. Apart from that, the case will be painted white (internal and external), and i'm thinking of spraying the PSU case white, so that the only thing you notice at first inside is the motherboard and the PSU cable! :thumb:

Last edited: 17 Jun 2014
  13. ceryni

ceryni Idiot

going to want photos :D pretty excited to do something like this myself now actually. But with a bunch of old end-of-life spares and using an android or ubuntu OS to run videos off the HDD and put a slim DVD drive inside it. I have everything I need apart from Case (going to make it) fans, mobo, and the know how for the media centre software, but I have a clever girlfriends uncle to take care of that for me ;)

14. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

:duh: Halfway through cutting out some of the parts, I realised that my revised plan wouldn't work with the baseplates that i've already cut.. I think I may just go freestyle and make it up as I go! I can always sand bits down or use copius amounts of gorilla glue to hold bits together.. It's all going to be painted anyway! :hehe:

15. ceryni

ceryni Idiot

Do it, to be honest even if you end up painting over glue it's going to look hive like anyway :p

16. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Hmm.. Now I think about it, gorilla glue IS a golden brown colour.. I'll do a tester to see what it looks like uncovered on white painted MDF.. This could be going somewhere! :clap:

It seems like instead of the perfect scratch build, it's becoming a scratch build that's modded to make stuff fit! :lol: I'm just hoping I can pull this off!

Last edited: 21 Jun 2014
  17. ceryni

ceryni Idiot

If you haven't done it yet, it ends up a creamy white because of it's expansion properties. I recently fixed my gf's shoes and sanded the excess, touching it all up with black shoe polish. Worked perfectly but don't count on it looking like honey!

A great idea but won't work with gorilla glue. Decide now IMO if you want a clean future-hive look or a gooey bee-keeper hive look ;)

18. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Ahh.. I'll probably try and keep mess to a minimum.. Then I could possibly lump bits on and spray it a honey pearl.. If it goes that way!

19. ceryni

ceryni Idiot

got any further with this?

20. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

I've been debating about the layout of it.. As I dont/wont need the ODD in it anymore, the entire case would be very empty.. So I could make it lower, but then wouldn't have the slats! :/

In other news, i've got some Mobo standoffs, so can start to layout the internals in the mid-plate and also got some sandpaper for refining edges and smoothing bits out! I'm currently in between two holidays, (off to Tomorrowland next weekend) but the plan is to completely finish after then!

This project is not dead!