1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment What lense for close ups of guinea pigs

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by CrapBag, 28 Jul 2015.

1. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I have a Canon EOS 1200D and I'm fed up with my wife moaning that she can't focus on a guinea pig close up and I have explained to her that it's down to the focal length of the lense and she needs to move further back and zoom in a little but she just doesn't get it.

What lense should we be using for this application.

I'm not bothered about super quality etc and I'm not willing to pay through the nose for a lense so any of the third party manufacturers would be preferable.

2. veato

veato I should be working

How close do you need to focus and what lens(es) have you currently got?

Edit:

This was taken with a cheap Tamron 70-300 @ 300mm. It has a 'macro' switch (it's actually 1:2 not true 1:1 macro) to enable a minimum focus distance of 95cm between the 180mm and 300mm range.

[​IMG]
    Zoo_003 by Philip Veater, on Flickr

Last edited: 28 Jul 2015
  3. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I believe you can get pretty close to your subject with a 'Nifty Fifty', I.e, a 50mm prime lens, That being said, the stock lens allows you to get closer than it does. The stock 18-55mm allows you to get as close as 0.25m/0.8ft, while the 55mm is rated at 0.45m/1.5ft.

Canon 50mm f1.8 for £88, but, Look around, you can get it MUCH cheaper, i paid £78 for mine with a filter.

Sam

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

I have this Tamron for sale in the For sale section.

:)

5. johnim40

johnim40 Minimodder

6. veato

veato I should be working

Correct me if I'm wrong but I suspect what you want to do is be able to stand further back from the gin.. guin.. gine... small animal and not scare it away by sticking a camera in its face? That being the case something like the 50mm would mean getting physically close to the gin.. guin.. gine... subject so might not be suitable.

7. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

They are fairly used to be photographed but my wife has to be pretty close to gently restrain them if they decide to go walk about, especially if the photo is being taken on a slightly raised surface (most commonly a low chair we have).

Canon 18-55mm DC Lens is what we currently have, it came with the camera.