1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Can my MP4 player be fixed? (headphone socket knackered)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lucy2005, 30 Dec 2009.

1. Lucy2005

Lucy2005 What's a Dremel?

hello i did something really silly today, my mp4 player (vivitar dmd-p20) fell out of my jacket and landed on the headphone socket while my headphones were plugged in, which pushed them in and broke the socket. The mp4 player still works but obviously i cant use headphones, it does have a speaker but this isnt working either :sigh: so is it easy to fix? where can i go to get it fixed? how much will it cost etc??? or is it doomed to the bin :waah:

i really loved this little player if anyone can help please get in touch :thumb:

thanks in advance

2. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

Is it just that the headphone jack is stuck in the socket? Magnet/dab of glue on a stick might fish it out.

3. Lucy2005

no i took them out but the whole socket has been banged in, and is now loose ill try and take a pic (be tommorow night now) its hard to explain sorry

4. llamafur

llamafur WaterCooled fool

Get a soldering iron and do mass work. Its not that hard, unless you've got shaky hands.

5. Lucy2005

i dont own a soldering iron, i dont even know anyone that has one :( dont suppose anyone in the north east england can help me out? im willing to pay to get it fixed.

Time for work i wont be back till midnight (overtime woohoo) thanks again for help guys

6. llamafur

llamafur WaterCooled fool

If I lived closer to you, I'd do it for free.
    but for now ME [​IMG] Rest of bit-tech

7. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

Well, I lol'd.

8. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Try and take it apart, then reposition the headphone socket and superglue it back in place. Might be a bit fiddly as it's probably held together with tiny little clips on the inside, so you'll need a very thin screwdriver to open it up(if you're lucky it's got obvious screwholes, and is piss easy to take apart).
    I dunno if I can help you without seeing it, but I live near York.

9. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Im in nottingham willing to help, pm me if your close.

10. Lucy2005

im in darlington, near newcastle/middlesboro, i can post it if its ok? how much would make it worth your while? thank you very much for the offer burnout :D

better pictures using my tripod

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

if thats not good enough please say, also the screws on the back are a wierd shape like an allen key would fit but im no expert :blush: also 2 x shaped screws either side and 1 on the bottom.

oh and the aout jack moves when i shake it so its snapped off inside from what i can tell

btw dont be worried if you break it, its no use to me atm

and yes i trust a member with over 5,000 posts and has been a member for nearly 5 years ;)

Last edited: 30 Dec 2009
  11. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

12. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

I'm a tad busy at the moment, but if everything else falls through I'd be able to fix it in a week or so. I live in Middleton St. George too, so if you're worried about trusting me, you could always come and beat me up. Not that I'd steal it or anything. Oh, and I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron and own my own set of security screwdrivers and spudgers. ;)

13. Tangster

Torx screws maybe? I don't have a set of very small torx or hex screwdrivers... But yeah, it looks like the socket just got bashed in by the impact, once it's open it should be a fairly simple pull it out and reglue it back into place.

14. Lucy2005

ahh not too far then, ive sent a PM to burnout but if that falls through ill be sure to contact you capnPedro, thank you for the offer.

Ive been staring at the small screws on the back and its definatly a hexagon shape (6 sides i think but its reeeeally hard to tell) is that an allen key one?

15. Tangster

Yeah, a hexagon is an allen key screw. You can get little screwdrivers with allen heads as well.