1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks De-stinking a lappy

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Yaka, 7 Jun 2014.

1. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

So got my self a laptop which despite being in pristine condition absolutely reek of ciggie stench.

Any suggestions on how to remove the stink? like I said the lappy is in pristine condition but I've already gone over with a can of compressed air.

2. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Nothing I can think of. The smell will fade though after a while.

3. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Get a box that you can seal up and that is large enough to hold the laptop. Get some baking soda and sprinkle in the bottom of the box - about one packet should be enough.

Put your laptop in the box (you might want to put it on a baking rack or something to hold the laptop out of the baking soda), seal the box and leave for a day or so.

4. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

will that really work?

5. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

Yes the bi carb will absorb oders

6. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

Have you cleaned the exterior? Had a case pass through my hands that was in near to brand new condition but stank. Copious amounts of surface/window cleaner and elbow grease. Plenty tar came off of it. Had to throw the cloth away.

7. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

The sealed box with bicarbonate of soda in the bottom does work. The last time I bought a laptop which stank of cigarette smoke it also happened to be extremely dirty and had suffered a few spills, so I stripped, washed and rebuilt the whole thing.

8. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

Ok will try the soda in the box a try. As for cleaning it, the laptop is in pristine condition but I still cleaned out the fans vents kb and wiped it all down many times. It's just the smell brief use and my fingers stink of ciggies.

9. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

Well it's worked, still some whiff left do boxed it up again wait a day or 2 more

10. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Definitely whip off the processor cooling assembly and give it a good wipe down with an alcohol-based wipe too, that fan will have millions of stale smoke particles clinging to it at the moment.

In fact (as seems to be my standard laptop advice at the moment), I agree with Uni. Take the whole thing to pieces and clean all the components thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol and a handful of cotton buds. That way you're nuking the small from the bits the air duster can't reach. That smoke film will be clinging to the surfaces of the PCBs, and whilst you might not notice it when the lappy is cold the smell will start to reveal itself under load again.

11. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

+1 with shirty! But also, if it's using foam fans.. (My netbook does, I mean seriously?) Have a look if you can get a new one! My Netbook stank of fags and it only really went after I replaced the foam fan blade section!

12. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

If you start smoking all your things can smell like cigs and then you won't notice that your fingers pick up a light odour when you use the laptop.

13. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Everything made sense to me right up until the day I gave up smoking :(

14. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

I replaced the fans with new ones, and thanks for top about the wipe down of all the bits think I shall do that as well

15. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

Well update

gave it all a good clean left it in a tub to dry out a couple days. then stuck it on a box with soda again. Smells all gone.

From now on I'm gonna ask first if peeps are smokers or not before buying. Lol