1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding My Portable PS2 with Pictures

Discussion in 'Modding' started by TechSoldier, 14 Jan 2015.

1. TechSoldier

TechSoldier What's a Dremel?

My PS2 Handheld

I just got done making my handheld PlayStation 2 and will be putting in the screw post within the next few hours however it is functional and I even played it all day today. If you have any questions feel free to let me know! I do custom ones as well and I hope you all enjoy my post. It is the sky blue theme for Kingdom Hearts as the paint job and took me about 30 hours to create. I took the back cover off for some of the
    Cost in parts

Screen 70$
    Rare SCPH 7900x MOBO 75$
    Flux, solder and various wires with power regulators 50$
    Project box, sandpaper, epoxy, paints, primer, Dremel bits and various other case making materials 100$
    Various tactile switches, SPST, ROCKER, SPST 35$
    8amp Lithium ION batters with custom PCB and smart charger 85$
    And some other materials that I had missed.

Before being criticized for it being older than the ps4 I know this, I understand there are emulators that can run on higher power tablets and the psp does exist. However emulators do not have a hundred percent compatibility with games and are always having to be tweaked to perform properly. Here this ps2 is one of less than 10 in the world and I've made nine of them so far. If you have any questions please let me know.

In Action : [​IMG]

Back Cover On : [​IMG]

System Top : [​IMG]

Size Comparison : [​IMG]

Full Frontal View :[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: 19 Jan 2015
  2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Hello and welcome to the forums :)

Just a hint - if you wrap your images in the tags rather than the URL ones your pics will show up in your post rather than having to click through to the site on which you are hosting them :thumb:

3. TechSoldier

Thank you for the word of advice I appreciate that, as soon as I find the rest of the pictures of the work in progress I will upload them.

4. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I take it the back opens to switch games? Any pics of the inside / some of the work.

How is it for weight / balance? It doesn't look like it would be comfortable to use for extended periods of time.

How odd is it having the Left and right bumpers at the bottom, instead of the top like a normal controller? I imagine it would require some getting used to.

Edit: Don't mean to come off as harsh, maybe I'm just being critical. I love the idea and innovation. I've seen people make handheld n64's and SNES but never a ps2.

5. TechSoldier

It does take some time to get used to the switches being on the back, however, after 30 minutes of gameplay it's much more comfortable to hold than I had originally anticipated. As for the back cover it's held on by magnets so you just place it back on after switching the games. Might actually use velcro for more durability here soon. I cut down the weight by removing all unecessary heat sinks on the system and replacing them with a custom solution, I did a head reading to make sure it ran cooler and reduced the weight to half that of the PS2 slim ( weights the same as the Nvidia Shield).

I ended up playing it at drill for 4 hours straight and it wasn't bad, my NCO's didn't want to give it back to me because they were too busy with it haha.

6. mansueto

What do the 4 switches do? I can only think of power and reset.

7. TechSoldier

The two black and red switches on the left are for the brightness and the two on the right are for the volume control. The main power rocker can be displayed up top. I was going to use the switches that was on the PlayStation 1 screen but ended up having to replace them with small SPST momentary tactiles since one was defective.

Last edited: 16 Jan 2015
  8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Awesome mod is awesome.

9. TechSoldier

Thank you I appreciate that, what I find funny is how under my name it says what's a dremel? Clearly I know what a dremel is but it's really funny to me to see that. It kinda reminds me of when I was a private and I always got stuck with the crap duty until I reached E4 (no pun intended).

I am really intrigued by the mod of the months and want to submit something so out there and innovative to become mod of the year for 2015. I love competitions more than anything as long as it stays friendly, which everyone on here seems to be, I would love to participate. I'm going to be making a very detailed how to for my handhelds so that everybody can learn how to make them. The next commission I pick up I will use in that tutorial.

10. Furball Zen

Furball Zen Shut up and Mod

You need to provide pics of it being modded, or its not a project log.

11. TechSoldier

I noticed were I posted it after reading the rules, it states it will be moved to modding by a moderator if they don't feel it needs to be in project logs.

12. GeorgeK

Do you happen to have any pics of you making it? If not then I'll move it over to modding.

Good work by the way :)

13. TechSoldier

Sorry it's taking awhile to respond I have to wait for a moderate to approve every post. Do I just make a duplicate thread and move it to modding? Also when you reach a certain post count are you able to post without having it to be reviewed it is taking days for me to post before? I had pictures of me modding it until my hard drive failed I know I have them stored elsewhere however not all the pictures will be put up.

14. TechSoldier

Thank you for the compliment too I plan on doing a super system where it's a arcade cabinet that is compatible with 10 consoles. I'm trying to use original hardware instead of a emulator on PC and also want to use one disk drive for every Sony system as well as a separate disk drive for every Xbox. I'm going to try it for mod of the year! It would be pretty awesome to play a game collection on this cabinet.

15. GeorgeK

Hey bud

I'll move it to modding - I have deleted your duplicate thread

GK

16. TechSoldier

Thank you GK for moving this. I plan on starting a tech show soon andon it will be compilations of my work being made a 10 minute video sped up hundreds of times to show how I make these in great detail.I plan on uploading the longer version on hete or linking them for people to see.

17. mansueto

The cabinet idea sounds promising. We've had a few arcade cabinet / emulator systems in the past and they were always interesting and entertaining. I've always been tempted to put together an htpc or raspberry pi for an emulator system, mostly just to do it, not because I'd actually play it.

18. TechSoldier

Sometimes that's the point of me modding is just so I can do it, playing my own creations isn't as fun as watching others reach some enjoyment out of it. Years ago when I built my first PlayStation 2 Portable I brought it to high school and won the science fair, when I submitted it in my technology class for a final grade I got D because the teacher said video games are pointless. I don't know how I failed my technology class to be honest, it was probably because I argued my teachers point constantly.

I am going to be starting a tech show soon on youtube and upload my complete work log once I have the necessary components in place to begin with the arcade cabinet. It would be nice to tether every system to one per switch and controller. I would like to have a multi slot where you flip a switch and that same cartridge slot can read multiple games from different systems and pull the hardware from the corresponding system I am still figuring out how I'm going to implement that but it would be really neat to use original hardware.