1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Server Setup Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dramatik, 3 Aug 2011.

1. dramatik

dramatik Minimodder

Hey guys, was planning to setup a server for someone with 6 PC's but I don't know the first thing about setting up a server. I've been asked to find a suitable PC server to buy, 10 client licenses and a suitable firewall for the server.

Any idea's on how I would go about setting something along these lines up? I've also been told that I should leave a backdoor open for myself on the server so that if anything goes wrong, I can check things remotely at home. Thanks in advance :D

Edit: I've also been told that some pcs are running XP whilst others are on vista

2. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

your best off buying something pre-made, also if you have had no experience with servers, you don't want to be offering support for it.

what is the server going to be used for? i am using sbs2011, quite easy to setup, but you have to be carefull messing about with the settings, or you could break it, like i did mine, although, luckily i had setup backups, so just reloaded from backup.

3. dramatik

dramatik Minimodder

1. Buy premade server (check)
    2. A Friend just asked if I could learn how to set one up as they would rather me learn and then pay me to do it instead of someone else :D
    3. It's for a church. All they wish to do is be able to use programs such as word etc, maybe some web browsing and be able to access important files from any of the PC's. They would also want a firewall installed.

4. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

so no exchange server needed

sbs 2011 essentials maybe an option looky

5. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

A church wants a server...whats the world coming to !

And the fact that the pc's are on xp/vista doesnt matter if you know how to set them all up properly.

6. dramatik

dramatik Minimodder

Cheers. So pretty much would installation be anywhere similar to me networking the 4 pc's I have in my house, or are there major differences. loool, yeah they specifically said *SERVER* lol, I'm guessing they are planning to expand further in the future

7. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

sbs 2011 essentials is a bit like win home server, for business upto 25 clients, it will allow remote access to files, which i presume is what they mostly want

winxp/vista won't allow multiple remote access at the same time.

you won't need a backdoor, just an account with admin priviledges

oh and the server shouldn't be used as if its a normal pc

Last edited: 3 Aug 2011
  8. dramatik

dramatik Minimodder

Meh sounds like they need a overhaul of their pc's.....I hardly doubt they have the cash for a new set of machines though. As far as I know they have all the pcs networked peer-to-peer style and things are moving slowing due to a very slow and tired pc hosting all the files.

9. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

10. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

I think you need to have a look at their current setup, and find out what exactly they want/need replacing, makes your job easier if you know exactly what they want

11. dramatik

dramatik Minimodder

Yeah I will be getting full details tomorrow. But from what my friend described, these pcs are ancient....maybe knocking on 10 years old!

12. krishan

krishan Minimodder

Couldn't they just use a nas like the netgear stora or readynas? If it's only sharing files then shouldnt that be ok?

13. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Ubuntu server any one? with Samba you got all your windows needs covered and comes with all needed software free. Added benefit pretty close to immune to almost every single virus.

14. dramatik

dramatik Minimodder

I wouldn't wanna mess with a Ubuntu server when I hardly know much about a windows server lol

15. sb1991

sb1991 What's a Dremel?

Even better, install ubuntu on all the PCs, it's a much better OS on old/slow hardware than Windows is. Also, Linux will allow clergy SSH access to Jesus for extra cloud-computing power.

If all that's needed is a basic server (as opposed to something that'll run multiple VMs, for example), the HP Microserver is about as cheap as it gets (£140 with the cashback offer), and might do the job. Find out what they want, though: if they're looking to run client applications on the server, that's a very different situation to a simple NAS. If they want to set up a domain, clients running home versions of Windows won't be able to connect. And so on...

microsoftPerson likes this.
  16. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

do you have a better idea of what is required yet?

17. dramatik

dramatik Minimodder

Sounds like a good idea @ sb1991 :thumb:

@RichCreedy
    1. They want to be able to use microsoft office on all 6 pcs
    2. They want to be able to specify which pcs have access to specific data (for example, only the manager has access to the financial files on the server whilst the 5 other workstations are denied access)
    3.My friend said the chances of them upgrading to more than 6 pcs is HIGHLY UNLIKELY
    4. They want a firewall setup (whether it be the firewall that comes with windows or one bought from a shop)
    5. They want Remote Desktop Access setup so that if anything goes wrong on the server, it can be fixed on my friends side without him having to go there.

99% of the stuff they do revolves around word, excel and sending emails.

What I don't know is what OS the desktops are running on at the moment. I will be paying them a visit on tuesday to see what state they are in.

18. saspro

saspro IT monkey

If you're not going over 15 users in total then Windows server foundation is a good start. Cheap software & very easy to setup.
    Stick it on a HP microserver and you're sorted.

You just need to ensure all clients are running a professional operating system to create the domain.

19. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

this, but it cant be bought on its own from what i've seen on microsoft site, although, i have just seen on serverplus website a fujitsu bios locked and hp rok around £150.

20. dramatik

dramatik Minimodder

The bold text is the part I don't get properly lol. What would be classed as a professional OS lol, i know....its really bad.

Also would this be a good choice to go for then
    HP ProLiant ML110 G6 Tower Server: http://www.serversplus.com/servers/tower_servers/hp_tower_servers/578930-035 (Or go with the one posted earlier on ebuyer)
    &
    HP Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation Reseller Option Kit: http://www.serversplus.com/software/foundation_server_2008_rok/589222-B21