1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Xbox 720 to be always-online?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 20 Mar 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I imagine, like the article says, always online means it will download updates/patches in the background when it can, rather than require an internet connection to let you use anything.

It'll need a connection to authorise a game, and to patch etc, but I think that'd be it.

3. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

My PC will always maintain a network connection, whether it can use that connection to get to the internet is a different story.

4. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Seen allot of consoles gamers saying that if this is true it's the death nail for the console.

Makes me laugh, because PC's have a constant online connection and 99% of games now require you to be signed in to some form of system such as Steam or Origin in order to play them.

5. dr-strangelove

dr-strangelove What's a Dremel?

Is there any evidence that it will be called the Xbox 720 or is that just what we've taken to calling it?

6. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

+1 - this is how it reads to me as well - it enters a low power state rather than turning off, and is connected to download patches/updates etc when you are e.g. asleep, so that you can turn it on and game straight away.

Can't see anything about game validation - think you might be reading bit too much into this particular source..

7. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

If all games are going to be installed on the HDD surely these things will have to ship with a pretty hefty HDD, sounds like it's becoming more and more like a PC! :D

8. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

The only games that should require an online-connection for playing it are multiplayer-modes and MMOs imho.

BL2 was the only game I've bought so far that required a service like Steam, but after plaing it for three month I've deinstalled it together with Steam. This was the first and last time I've played such a restricted game, as I couldn't play the damn game, when my network was down due to environmental influences (-40°C killed my line for a few days).

The game-industry is digging their own grave, just because they think that they're selling more copies when they cut down the illegal copies.
    JFTI. People who illegally copy games usually don't have any money to buy the games in the first place most of the time.

When I buy a game, especially games with single-player-mode, I want to be able to play it, even if I don't have an internet-connection to start with.

9. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Not the same, I can lose connection to steam whilst playing games with no issue, but some games with an always on style DRM means I can't. (Heroes 6 is a good example, kept getting kicked from my single player game because my internet is iffy at home) :(

It's also the principle, I hope it's as Mankz suggests and you don't actually need to be online to play.
    Also not a fan of it always being on, so hopefully that's not needed (although then again I'm very unlikely to be buying this console, but it sets a bad example in my opinion)

10. Ryun

Ryun What's a Dremel?

I'm surprised you guys didn't make this the title of the article. Maybe I've just been in the dark, but this is huge for the xbox console.

11. Ayrto

Ayrto What's a Dremel?

As mentioned already, it'll probably be for activation only as with PC. Not allowing any offline play at all would be stupid. And you'd expect only so many activations per game, again, as with some PC games. Both MS and Sony have been pretty coy about second hand games . Technically multiple activations(possibly higher than with PC) won't stop used game sales, but in practice it does, and it certainly ends rental.

More troubling is the fact that the Durango machine needs Kinect switched on to work according to the documents . MS has patented Kinect DRM tech, that detects number of users quote: "the users consuming the content on a display device are monitored so that if the number of user-views licensed is exceeded, remedial action may be taken." - as a summary of the patent says.

12. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

it`ll want an allways on connection for random authentication.

its what will happen ; games with 1/2 the content server side.

13. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

Agreed! This is the first I have heard of this?? Surely this is the actual news here!

14. rollo

rollo Modder

If all games are installed on hard disks that would effectively end second hand games sales, as you would have nothing to sell. You can hardly take a USB stick into game for second hand trade can you.

Sounds alot like steam and origin.

Don't see the issue.

15. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

It sounds like it can sit in a low power state and still download updates/patches so when you turn it on (full power state) it's ready to go.

16. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I really can't wait till these consoles are finally released. It's been so long! I'm not bothered if it needs to be connected continuously, as my internet has always been reliable, and fast.

Everything Media gets connected to the internet these days, and will all use a cloud system to keep everything in sync. So hurry up already! Life is short and I want Photorealism graphics before I die! :D

17. Tynecider

Tynecider Since ZX81

18. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

19. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

20. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

And when its not ? my guess is if you do ever have problems with your connection you will be cursing the always on connection because you cant play the game you want to.

The only cloud i use is where i have control over my data (my home) and if you want Photorealism graphics you will have a long wait with console's, my guess is we are going to be stuck with these consoles for almost 10 years.

And with NVidia saying we will have Volta in 2016, i predict we will be in the same situation we are in now. I.E Three year old consoles crippling what can be done on a modern PC.

Tags: Add Tags