1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Iain Duncan Smith: Make computers easier to use

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 6 Sep 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. coolius

coolius What's a Dremel?

I don't think its computers that are to blame - its the huge number of different websites with different designs and layouts that make them hard to use.

3. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

I've heard this kind of thing before, but I don't buy it. It isn't about how complicated a device is at all. Its a willingness to learn. All of my grandparents regularly use the internet (and my Gran hardly ever puts down her iPad) and of course everybody who does use it learned how to do so at some point. IDS is being incredibly condescending here, by making it sound like older people are just too stupid to use something as complicated as a computer. I don't believe that. If someone wants to learn then they will. The case is really to convince those people that it is worth their while to put the effort in.

4. Blackshark

Blackshark What's a Dremel?

And lets not forget the bah humbug brigade who would not use one if 'someone' paid for it, installed it and offered them free lessons. There are elderly users out there (like every age group) who want to learn and progress and try, those people are very seldom held back by UI, different designs...

5. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

I think IDS may not have considered that the main barrier to OAPs using computers is that many inconceivably prefer to spend their pathetic incomes on frivolous things such as not starving and staying warm during the winter. Maybe IDS should do something about that?

6. trickster

trickster What's a Dremel?

Its not the computers its the software, internet and general thought processes used in computing.
    Its alien for someone whos not used to computers to understand whats actually going on when they "double click " a folder to "open" it. Never mind understanding enough to deal with a problem when something goes wrong!
    Tablets are very simplistic to use, yet my Dad, now in his 70's and has had a computer since the Sinclair ZX81, struggles to keep up with how it works, what things are and what they do. My 2 year old niece works the iPad better than he does!
    A willingness to learn is very important, however peoples ability to learn can be severely reduced because of age and various other factors.

7. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Also I think a lot of it is psychological - some people see computers as magic boxes. If you try to guide them through a step-by-step process they just will not attempt to follow the instructions, insisting that "I'm not a computer person, can you just come and do it for me?"

Either that, or they gaily click on every pop-up, link and instant message that appears, and can only see "OK" and "Install Now!" buttons.
    Thats when the trouble starts...

8. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

Oh look Windows 9 OLD edition.

xD

9. fodder

fodder Minimodder

As above, people make assumptions before they even see or try something. I used to work in applications support for an industry that mainly used macs 'on the bench' but windows servers. Many customers refused to even pick up the mouse on the windows box as 'I am a mac person and can't use a pc'. The UI works in an almost identical way. Double click to open a folder, three little buttons to minimise/close a window etc.

It's just the way some people have learned to handle their environment. If I don't try it I won't fail at it. A lot of people haven't learned that failure is a part of learning.

10. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

As above. And the only computers they do get are ones that family can't be bothered to dispose of properly and give them to gran/gramps to play with, fact that it is slow and faulty doesn't help people who don't really know what they are doing.

I found Linux to be good for basic setups most things are straight forward, its hard to break and most include programs to do all the basics with the main install/distro

11. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I'm not sure what hardware manufacturers can do to make things easier, after all that hardware operation of a computer ends when you press the button on the front. Maybe mark it "GO"....

If he wants to whinge he really needs to be talking to MS since, for better or worse, they'll represent most of the user base.

12. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

+1 To that. IDS go sort out what your responsible for and IF your successful at that then we might listen to you.

13. TheLegendJoe

TheLegendJoe Syntax error

Aren't computers getting easier and easier to use anyway? Tablets and windows 8 all look easy to use for the older generation, and people new to the market. As long as the "advanced" options are always there for people like me (us probably, enthusiasts) I'll be happy.

14. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

iPad

job done.

it really just works. even for my grandparents who don't understand basic mobile phones and struggles at computer beyond their usual websites (hotmail, a few established news sites) could work ipad, understood pinching and swiping instantly.

15. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

I really wanted to teach my grandad how to use the internet before he passed but the above example just makes it almost impossible. Teaching them the absolute basics is difficult enough but trying to explain what's spam and what's not is extremely frustrating for a poor teacher like myself. I decided not even going to try and teach my gran, although her mind isn't what it used to be.

This is why I think Apples walled garden and Ipad *spits* really is the model of the future...which is a shame.

16. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

I agree with what most people have put above.
    There's also a different generations way of thinking to take into account, a good example is, if I want to know where a place in the world is I'll open Google earth with out even thinking about it, but if my 65 year old Mum want's to know where somewhere is she'll go straight to her atlas.
    It's not because she cant use a pc it's just because that's where her default mindset is, her generation was taught "information comes from books" and that's where they'll default to to find information, where as younger generations that have grown up with pc's tend to default to pc's for information because it's what they've grown up with.
    It's not because they don't understand, it's because they don't always think to use a pc that's all, just a different generations way of thinking.

17. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

I disagree that it's a generational thing. I know plenty of elderly people who are perfectly fine with using computers. The main factors are a person's attitude to life and their willingness to learn new things.

18. CarlT2001

CarlT2001 What's a Dremel?

Agree. All people, regardless of their generation, can be ludites.

19. chemo

chemo True Jungle Brother

i take no notice of what this man says.

20. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

Tags: Add Tags