1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cases 4 Graphics card, 1 case : O external graphics card cage?!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by windows1080, 26 Oct 2011.

1. windows1080

windows1080 What's a Dremel?

HI,

Ok, here's the dilemma, I currently have 4 graphics cards: 2 reference GTX 580s and 2 Zotac GTX 470 AMP! edition (triple slot).

I want to somehow put all this into one computer; I have figured out how to do this electrically(by using a PCI-E X1 riser cable for the 470s) but there is no way all this is going to fit into one case!

so is there any way of using an external GPU cage or a internal gpu mould or something?

2. Lord-Vale3

Lord-Vale3 His Tremendousness

You will have to make one.

Also, how do all these cards benefit you? If you have to use PCI extenders, then the motherboard does not support SLI for all of these. Also, you cannot SLI 580s with 470s.

So what are you using all these cards for, F@H?

3. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

There are several cases available that have 8 or more card slots (I think I saw a couple with 10 when I was looking around!). In-Win Ironclad and Coolermaster HAF X are 2 that come to mind.

4. Lord-Vale3

Lord-Vale3 His Tremendousness

Yes there are these, I was under the impression he didn't want to get another case.

5. windows1080

I was lucky enough to win a competition that asked you to come up with a good spec within a budget. Therefore, I recieved the computer with 2X GTX580s - for gaming.(maybe using the 470s for PhysX - lol)

However, I do have 2X GTX470s lying around and I though if I could integrate those cards into the main computer, then the Rendering speed would be phenomenal, i.e. using a GPU based render that can use hundreds of GPUs : )

@debs3579

yeah, I do want to keep my OEM case and also I calculated I would need 12 PCI-E slots!!! which no case in the world (i think) has also due to my motherboard being a failure (MSI P67A-GD53) lol.

Thanks for all your replies, it looks like I will have to think of something... : )

6. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Dremel, cut new hole in back panel and fix in :)

7. windows1080

LOL, I was thinking that but: a triple slot card besides two GTX 580s?! :) LOL
    Think of the heat!!!

8. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Sorry to be negative but this is totally pointless unless you are folding or something and even then I don't know if the client will support them. 2 x 470s is total overkill for PhysX - which a) only a few games support anyway and b) the 580's can more than handle on their own. Also, you're going to need a 1400w PSU.

Enjoy yourself though. :wallbash:

9. windows1080

Nah, trust me its gonna be fine, its not for folding but rather for rendering of 3D images (am a 3D artist) :) and I have confirmed that the program can take as much power as you throw at it : ).

For gaming I think the 2X 580s will be fine :)

and finally 1400W ?! of all of the stuff I looked at no PSU could support my configuration so I bought a 850W XFX plus th 1000W OCZ ZX... overkill? :duh: probs :)

thanks

10. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Get a Silverstone TJ12

But seriously; I think you'd have better luck dropping the two 470's in there. The lower heat and fact they'll actually fit will save you some time. But you'd best be thinking of a case with some serious cooling.

Plus you'll need something like a Silverstone Strider 1.5KW with an 600watt-ish PSU as a secondary if you're seriously planning that kind of an arrangement.

11. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I read of some cases having 10 PCI slots, so it may be looking up one of those perhaps...

Just counted, my Elysium is one of those cases...

12. rob the bank

rob the bank What's a Dremel?

Surely its cheaper just to buy a small electric heater to keep your feet warm :=)

13. windows1080

I did think about it but I struggled to find a electric heater that's below 1850W and produces SO MUCH HEAT :)