1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment Macro extension tubes or Macro filters?

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by sotu1, 15 Oct 2013.

1. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Hi guys,

Quick question, whats the pros/cons of macro filters or macro extension tubes?

I wanna start out doing a bit of macro but the actual lenses are obviously pricey, and I won't be doing a huge amount of it

ta!

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Macro filters need to be very good, or they degrade image quality.

Macro extension tubes don't degrade IQ as much, but forcing lens to work outside its design parameters obviously is still not ideal. Downside of that is that AF doesn't work very well. Ideal setup would be 50mm prime with over 60mm of macro extension tube for greater than 1:1, tripod and manual focus.

There's also reverse mount and reverse couple ring. Reverse mount mounts the lens backwards. Very tricky to use. Reverse couple ring mounts one lens on backwards to another lens, I tried 35mm or 85mm with a 24-105mm, both gives terrible vignetting. But those two are the cheapest as they are basically a metal ring.

I use a set of Kenko tubes which has electrical contacts. They go on 85mm which gives just under 1:1 macro when all tubes are used. Good lighting and tripod are required.

3. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

I bought some filters for £15, they got better reviews off amazon and seem more portable.

4. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Reversing ring isn't that difficult to use, just make sure the lens has manual aperture control on it, take a good flash and blap bugs with impunity.

5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

yeah, I was using Canon EF lenses, no aperture control, so had to do the DoF preview button trick to lock its aperture. Then the viewfinder becomes almost pitch black.

6. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

bit more of an experimental thing at this stage. I've not really become enamoured with macro shots yet so more just dipping my toe in the pond and polluting it.

7. JazzXP

JazzXP Eh! Steve

Tubes by far. My experience with the filters has be less than stellar. That said, I LOVE my 105mm Macro, and it makes for a great portrait lens too (if that helps you justify the investment)

8. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Tubes, because you're not not adding any more glass to the setup.
    Just don't skimp on the price and fork out a bit more money for tubes with electrical contacts.

9. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Any recommended tubes? I saw some online for a tenner....I'm guessing there's a better set than that around!

10. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Canon or Nikon?
    The ones for a tenner tend to the ones without electrical contacts - I'd expect to pay £25+ for an AF capable set.

11. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

I have a set of the tenner ones for my D5000 (btw sotu1 has a nikon IIRC).

They're OK and I use them with my old Nikkor 50mm 1.8 (circa 1970). I enjoy using them, but I'm not really used to them and they would benefit from a flash.