1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD says "No more price cuts."

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 18 Jul 2007.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

:waah: I was anticipating some more price slashings in a few weeks time. I couldn't have been more wrong :(.

3. xion

xion Minimodder

I really hope AMD can maintain enough market share to remain financially viable, the last thing we need is for Intel to have complete market dominance; why lower prices when there's no competition?

4. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

now that would really suck

5. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

AMD prices are already low, but I was anticipating a price cut as well. Intel are really cutting themselves and they're cutting way above their knees. They surely are winning, I think.

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I'm glad AMD aren't going mad over this price-war thing, the last thing they need to do now is start panicking - investors/stockholders don't like rash moves, and once the investors/stockholders go, AMD's down the pan. I don't think we need to worry too much, AMD are still in pretty good shape financially, don't forget they still make money from OEM's etc as well as supplying the server market.

Fixed for the graphics status-quo. Unfortunately I think it's round 1 to nVidia in the DX10 war.

7. capnPedro

QFT. This is why I still buy AMD. Intel may be the current king of the hill, but I still buy AMD even when the chips have less grunt. If people don't buy AMD proccys, Intel will have a monopoly and that won't benefit anyone.

Plus I like AMD. I'm a fanboy, I know. I don't care if they aren't the absolute best, I just feel like I want to stick with AMD.

8. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

If they cannot compete why reward them with irrational buying? There's no incentive for them to improve if people buy the crap they are already producing, if you want to help AMD do not buy their products until they improve their performance/price. Then again it is your money, so do what you like lol :p

9. Kaboom22

Kaboom22 Minimodder

Slight inacuracy, the nickname Big Blue is attributed to IBM, not intel.

10. capnPedro

They cannot improve if they go out of business.

11. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Yeah but likewise they will not improve if people continue to purchase their product, though inferior.

12. Yraen

Yraen What's a Dremel?

The article makes it sound like Intel is responding to AMD's price cuts when Intel's price cuts have been known about for months now. It also makes it sound like AMD is the one controlling when price cuts will take place, when all they are doing is what they have been doing for years now; dropping prices right before Intel's price cuts. Everyone seems to think "price war" when this happens and expect prices to be slashed back and forth, but this is the same game we've seen played out the last few years.

The title of the article shouldn't be "AMD says no more price cuts", rather it should be "AMD price cuts are already in effect" or something along those lines. This line; "Of course, if we're honest, Intel needed those cuts to compete with AMD's now nearly ridiculous prices." should have been thought out a little better also. Intel doesn't need those price cuts to compete with AMD's prices, AMD had to lower prices to compete with the cut Intel is about to make.

See here for more information.

13. zoot2boot

zoot2boot What's a Dremel?

"System builders seem to collaborate AMD's statement, saying that they were given several months' notice before the sharp drops on July 9th."

lol, i think he means corroborate.

Tags: Add Tags