1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows Multiple Licence Advice

Discussion in 'Software' started by seebul, 19 Jan 2013.

1. seebul

seebul Minimodder

Hi Bit-Tech,

I need some advice on licences for Windows, I run a small business doing home IT repair for people. Some of the jobs I go to now just need complete re-installtion of the OS because there so buggered, is there some sort of multi licence for windows that I can buy that covers this?

Most people are unwilling to shell out for a new copy of windows when I tell them thats what they need! But if i could buy some sort of multi licence that would cover me to install it on multiple pc's that would be brilliant, does this even exist?? Ive looked at Microsofts partner scheme and Technet but its not very clear!! I just want to make sure im doing things 'by the book'.

Thanks for any help.

2. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

There are various schemes for licences inside your own company (Action Pack etc), but for outside customers there is only OEM and/or retail. FYI Technet is not intended for real work ("Software is licensed for evaluation purposes only-not for use in production environments.").

3. craigp84

craigp84 What's a Dremel?

Can you not just reinstall with the PCs original OEM licence?

Licence key is normally on the side of the PC case. You can use any OEM install media from Vista onwards as they're all the same (not true for XP). Note though its OEM install media, I believe retail is different and won't work with the OEM key?

4. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

legally, you have to use the recovery system that the oem supplies (whether that be built in or disk) you cannot use an oem system builders disk.

one thing you might be able to do (Microsoft licensing man recently said he isn't saying that it would be ok or that it wasn't) but you could sign up for the Microsoft refurbishers program there are no license numbers on the stickers, instead you use the original license number on the mrp website, and get a new license number. there are some requirements but read up about it.

you order the disks/stickers from a disti

5. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

For your internal use I would suggest a volume license, or a partner and using the MAPS (Microsoft Action Pack Software) as this can be used in production enviroments provided that you do not have end people outside your company using it

For the machines brought into repair it will have to be new oem or retail software