1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics GTX 480 Appreciation Society

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blogins, 15 Apr 2012.

1. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

A while ago I started a thread in a similar vein to celebrate the GTX 460. We ended up having quite the competition pushing the limits of our respective GPUs and ended up with some heady overclocks. It's not all about pushing performance however! At this very moment I'm undervolting my GTX 480 down from 1013mV to 975mV and running the FurMark stability test it's dropped almost 10 degrees off the temperature!

So lets give the GTX 480 some respect and have fun playing around with our GPUs! :thumb:

2. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Great idea - the 480 is an oldie but a goodie! Expect contributions from me when I get some time to play with my toy :D

3. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Its not old, she's a spritely young girl still! Just no longer bleeding edge.

**glares at 8800 GT.. :lol:**

4. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I've yet to find any game make my GTX480's struggle at the res my monitor is.

PingPong likes this.
  5. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Go 480!!!:rock::rock::rock:

6. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Near enough equalled your Heaven Benchmark score with a maximum temperature of 47 degrees during the test...

[​IMG]

This was with an undervolt to 975mV. Ran FurMark afterwards to show the relevant clocks in Afterburner.

7. el2k

el2k Modder

When i get time to play i'll put mine through some tests.

8. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Nice lot of recruits for the cause in here! :thumb:

I have something a little special lined up for my GTX 480 thanks to a generous fellow Bit-Techer who I shall praise up just as soon as it's ready. Should look like a really sweet number though, that much I can confirm!

9. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

I might join in too :)

10. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I'll have mine up and running soon too! Get ready for some awesome benchies!

11. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Another combatant!

Glad we're getting some water cooled GTX 480 here, give me a good comparison for my devilish plans! :D

On a serious note, I'm genuinely surprised just how well the GTX 480 is performing all round. I might be lucky in the fact I've not been exposed to the reference cooler since mine originally came with an EK water block. That said this GTX 480 has only been run on air with the Gelid Icy Vision. This cooler I whole heartedly recommend, it's so versatile I think it'll fit pretty much any GPU in the past, present or future!

Question for you bdigital, what material did you use under the EK backplate for that very cool blue effect behind the lettering?

[​IMG]

12. The_Crapman

did you do the undervolt in afterburner? i tried a little overvolting on my 460, but being a pre-production model i could only do it via the bios and it didn't like the increase one little bit. may need your advice on that once i get my 480 on water. if you would be so kind.

13. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

I was wondering if anyone could maybe benchmark a sli/tri-sli 480 with skyrim or bf3, I'm intrested in buying one card now and an extra card + monitors later! Just a bit conserned about the vram on the 480..

14. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Just need to unlock access to voltage control from within Afterburner. Remember not to push things to far unless you have the necessary cooling to deal with the extra heat that increased voltage brings. My GTX 460 cards both had VRM cooling so I could push things a little further than most other models.

15. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Found a little problem with my GTX 480, not a game breaker but annoying all the same!

Whenever I use software that polls my GTX 480 I get micro stutter in games. If I turn GPU-Z or MSI Afterburner off then it's all as smooth as butter. Just annoying that it prevents me monitoring temperatures and performance because I want a proper play in-game. Any way around this small problem?

16. jakobfrimmel

jakobfrimmel What's a Dremel?

YES!! although I don't have a gtx 480... i still feel like appreciating it :)
    maybe ill pick one up for pure funsiessss

:rock:

17. The_Crapman

A long uneducated shot in the dark, but try returning the volts to stock?

18. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Well it works undervolted with monitoring software turned off so the volts ain't the problem.

Stop trying to undermine my work! ;)

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Alternative cooling discussion HOOOOOOOOOOOOO! /Liono.

Apart from water what do people prefer? I've got an MSI Lightning (that I nabbed after MOA 2010 :cooldude: ) but it sounds like a turbo charged vacuum cleaner. I watercooled the core for a while and it was bliss, but I had to drop it because I sold the whole kit. Shall I just go back to WCing the core or try something else? I've also got a spare GTX 590 waterblock and no GTX 590 :waah:

20. The_Crapman

I did say it was an uneducated gues. Herp derp. I'll return to my swamp now....