1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Blogins, 16 Jan 2016.

1. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Thinking this deserves its own thread!

Sold on the game thanks to this Dev Diary...

The original game was all about the feeling of freedom over movement which the above hammers home, so I'm optimistic this'll be good.

2. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

We kinda carried on the himeworld remastered thread. I sat through a 30 bid on ign earlier, it does look bloody good

3. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I'm planning on playing this as my next game to complete. Will try to keep everyone posted.

4. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Not one much for pre-orders after far too many shitty releases but this does look quite good and that was a nice dev video.

Also, existing owners of Homeworld Remastered on steam get 20% off, which is a nice touch, takes the prices down to £23.99 on steam, although I bet it may be cheaper off a key site.

Last edited: 17 Jan 2016
  5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Pre-ordered mine. It triggered an update of Homeworld Remastered Collection for 44.4MB, maybe a little advertainment?

6. Kehoe

Kehoe Minimodder

really do want to get this game but i already own 2 copys of the Remastered version of this game, I ordered the CE version from Amazon and when it was delayed they gave me a key even though i explained that id get one with the CE version, so to preorder and get another key feels like a waste, i think i'll be holding fire on this one, may wait for it to be in a steam sale or something, considering the amount of uncompleted games i own grows almost daily >_< i need to do a list sometime and make a Massive effort to go out n complete stuff.

7. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

You don't get a copy of the Remastered if you already own it on steam, you get the 20% discount applied instead.

8. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Thanks for getting this on my radar, didnt quiet pull the trigger on home world although i really like the look of it, but this looks great.

EDIT: After looking at trailers and game play diary.... i may of accidentally pre-ordered. woops :worried:
    add me on steam: otis1337

Last edited: 18 Jan 2016
  9. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I'm a little bit wary of this, given the almost non existent levels of pre-launch promotion its had. In the movie industry that is usually the sign of a poor product (see the upcoming remake of 'Point Break'), along with the pre-order incentive.

10. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Yes, it all seems very last minute, which should rightly be an indicator for caution. To be fair to Gearbox (much maligned for Colonial Marines but also purveyors of the successful and loved by many Borderlands), they did do an excellent job of Homeworld Remastered, including the on-line service and Netcode, to my surprise.

There is also stiff competition with Xcom 2 just 3 weeks away.

But here we all are again, pre-orders and why?
    In an ideal world, you'd wait for the game to release, see reviews/videos and then buy if it's good. That would have the positive impact of letting the **** games die the death they deserve. But, lets be honest, when faced with good marketing for a game, getting caught up in the hype or letting your common sense defenses down by the potential game related excitement and fresh experience a new game presents, I can see why people (myself included) still take the risk.
    There is a weird sense of must have urgency to new game releases, like people want to be part of the day one experience, which is great when it works out well and miserable when it crappy!

I guess only time will tell.

Last edited: 18 Jan 2016
  11. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

i pre-ordered mainly because i kinda wonted the homeworld remastered as well. also if it ends up been trash can always get a refund ;)

12. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

It's a short single player campaign. That said I've revisited the Homeworld Missions many many times to perfect my game. I can see this game being much the same in single player replay value.

13. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

I've been waiting for this since it was Hardware:Shipbreakers back in 2010. The dev diaries and in-depth dev-conference talks are more convincing than any number of shiny marketing trailers, so I'm not too worried aobut Gearbox's notoriously terrible marketing ability (apart from AGAIN failing to actually use their mailing list signup for actually telling anyone anything about the game whatsoever).

14. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Last edited: 19 Jan 2016
  15. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

not long to go now

pre load is up weighing in at 7gig

16. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Weird, mine was 3.7 gig when I left it running this AM, did they release a second part? I thought the install was 7 but the download was 3.7.

I joined the band wagon btw :)AND before anyone says it, im only risking a pre-order now due to the new refund option in Steam.

17. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

It'll be 7GB installed but 3.6GB for the compressed installation files.

18. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

Come on guys, has no-one learned anything from Pre-orders?

The only thing they do is hurt the end-user by letting the publisher know they can strap the IPs name to a flaming bag of dogdoo, and sell it to you before they've even set alight to it.

I'll wait for the reviews and inevitable sale, thanks.

19. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I have some rare spare time off of work and a 20% discount that forced me to pre-order! :rolleyes:

20. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

I do agree on the broad princple of pre-orders not being good but I suspect they are here to stay. We'd be better pushing to get the Steam refund option to not be limited to 2 hours and to get ALL digital platforms have a refund option by default.

Also, the Steam refund option does make pre-order more tolerable now, what have I to loose? If this ends up the next Colonial marines, i'll get my money back. If it ends up good, then i'll be happy, especially with the 20% discount. Win Win IMO.

Snap :)

Normally i'd not bother for the reasons already mentioned about the curse of pre-orders in this and other threads but from the videos I have seen, they have captured the spirit of Homeworld really well. If it ends up a cross between Ground Control & Homeworld and is not a buggy mess i'll be happy.