1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics How to limit a game to 30 fps (Nvidia)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Aterius Gmork, 7 Jan 2015.

1. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Never thought I would ask this but how can I limit a game's framerate to 30 fps?

I am using a Nvidia GTX 770.

The game in question is Final Fantasy XIII on Steam. The game runs awful. On average I get 59 fps, but there are terrible lagspikes to 30 fps. Durante, a modder well known for his resolution fixes for Dark Souls and this game, desribes the problem on PC Gamer.

So instead of a stuttering gameplay which drives me insane I thought I'd try the cinematic gameplay experience so many game developers praise nowadays.

I have tried to limit the framerate in the Nvidia system properties tool, but the only option I could find was "Adaptive Vsync - half refresh rate". This option never works for me, the game will drop down to 15 fps or less. The screen is a Dell U27H11 so it runs at 60fps.

Is there any other option or some convenient tool that can limit my refresh rate to 30?

Last edited by a moderator: 7 Jan 2015
  2. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Other than buying a G-sync monitor, you mean?

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

EVGA's precision GPU tool will let you set a target FPS, as will others I assume.

You may be able to set something in the nvidia control panel in the game profiles, but I haven't really looked into it.

Aterius Gmork likes this.
  4. Aterius Gmork

Ah sorry, I might have chosen the wrong word here: I want to limit the frame rate of the game to 30 fps. I like my screen at a refresh rate of 60, thank you very much. ;)

However this would we one of the few instances were G-Sync would actually not solve the problem as the fps dips due to the bad engine would persist.

I will try the EVGA tool once I get home from work, thanks! :thumb:

5. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

6. Aterius Gmork

Thanks edzieba, the RSS works great! :thumb: