1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows Phone 7 launches

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 12 Oct 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

It's quite impressive that they managed to tear Mr Fry away from his iPhone.

3. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

You're Kidding? Shock, awe and amazement. Mr Fry is all things Apple and even sings the praises of Google. Remember his rant on twitter last year when he was trying to get a Vaio to connect wirelessly and cursed Microsoft. Maybe this is him apologising.

Still think he's ace though and I for one will be upgrading my handset to a WM7 device.

4. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Are we going to be able to upgrade the OS to WinMo 7? I want it for my HD2!!

5. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

No, but if you get over to the XDA Developers forums I'm pretty sure they've ported it to the HD2.

Microsoft has very stringent hardware specs for WP7 so there'll be no upgrades from older devices. Nevertheless it looks incredibly clean and speedy and I'm glad they've finally managed to bridge their different brands into one device. When it comes to upgrading my Pre next year I'm going to have a headache on my hands.

6. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Looks like I may be doing that then, shame really. I believe the HD2 specs are enough to run WinMo7, but oh well. Over to XDA I go then.

7. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Yeah you're right, the specs are fine, it's more just the softkey requirements- there's no dedicated search button for example, but you could easily use one of the others.

8. Matticus

Matticus ...

Orange better not molest it with any stupid branding. I will never forgive them for deflowering my Desire. *shakes fist*.

I need to get my hands on one of these phones though, might have enough money soon to just buy one outright, need to get developing for it!

9. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

Been looking forward to this release for ages, definitely going to be replacing my iPhone with a HD7 soon as they hit the shelves :D

10. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

They will, it's their way to completely ruin every phone they get their hands on with branding and crap. All you can hope for is that it's less rather than more.

11. Sanzy

Sanzy Minimodder

The windows 7 does look interesting i just hope that they sort out some of the features which are missing.

12. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Copy & Paste is coming early 2011, hopefuly mutlitasking will follow soon enough.

13. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

A well timed release? or should it really have taken almost a year (to the day) since Win 7 was released. Might pop down to Orange Retail to have a butchers

14. ocha

ocha Minimodder

With WP7 it's very hard to kill the UI with operator branding. At most they can change the tile colour / backgrounding colours, both of which you can change and load on their own applications, which you SHOULD be able to delete

15. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It makes the iPhone look almost old. An excellent piece of work by Microsoft's design team. :clap:

16. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

So what about the people, who screamed at Apple for not allowing any modifications to their iOS, or not allowing any other software on their device that's not officially approved and bought through iTunes?

Microsoft does exactly the same with WinMo7 now *lmfao*

Oh you gotta love the world, when it's black and white, without any shades of grey... do you?

17. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

As mentions Copy & Paste is coming in early 2011 (from Microsoft).
    And Flash will follow soon after Windows Phone 7 is release (from Microsoft).
    I guess, Adobe is still working on it, or started to work on it (maybe it was a topic in that secret meeting they did).

True Multi-tasking will come if there is a real demand after the phone is release, it would be interesting to see what Microsoft has implemented now... if anything. Rumor was saying that they wont' be multitasking but if you have an application that plays music/internet radio, your can do other stuff on the phone while it plays. I don't know if that was implemented or not (just rumors).

One thing that will be missing, is HTML5 support from IE. I have no read any news on when it will be implemented.. maybe at it's first SP (if they do Service Packs like they do in Windows)?

It is cool that they included the ability to track your lost phone (and I think even remotely delete everything), like the iPhone. And that you only need to log-in once to all your social network at one place, and that is all you need.

The Zune software integration was a nice idea... At least it brings everything onto 1 software, like what Apple does very well (everything integrated well to iTunes). Zune software is a very nice multimedia software (massacre iTunes in all aspects) , and I think it needs to be given a look by everyone. What I like about it, is that you don't need serious power to run it, as you can cut down on the visuals in the program options. And when you play a music, it really puts the artist into value. Like you see the album art playing as a very nice slide show, and you can get more info on the artists, and even get songs/artists that was inspired or related.

18. rollo

rollo Modder

Zune ain't even out in uk so can't say I've checked out software

We will see on this

Apple and Microsoft both a locked platform only android not not a big surprise

iTunes vs zune
    Apple vs ms

Let fanboy wars commends

19. ocha

ocha Minimodder

Zune software is out in the UK now, zune marketplace and zune pass are also working now I believe

20. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

it should be out. You have 14-day trial of the Zune pass if you want.
    Software (32 and 64-bit available): http://www.zune.net/en-US/products/software/download/default.htm
    Your lucky, you have music marketplace and Zune pass... all we have in Canada is to be able to purchase Music Video's... so we have Music videos... but no music.... get your head around THAT! Anyway, I still use the Zune software to manage my music, and well sync my Zune 120.

Actually anything beats iTunes. It's really not hard to do.

Tags: Add Tags