1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Fable 3 has no experience, health bar

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 12 Feb 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. msm722

msm722 What's a Dremel?

XP is a very simple system. The only reason someone may not understand it is if it's not explained how you gain it and why.

3. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Jesus Christ. Are you serious? That is the level of intelligence Fable 3 is being marketed to?

Before long, gameplay itself is going to be outdated and we are just going to be given a "CONGRATULATIONS! YOU FINISHED/STARTED THE GAME! YOU ARE AN AMAZING PERSON AND EVERYONE LOVES YOU!" screen.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

You've played You Have to Burn the Rope, right?

5. jsheff

jsheff What's a Dremel?

At first I was confused, but then I realised fairly quickly that to gain physical XP I used physical attacks, will XP using will attacks, and skill XP using ranged attacks. I quite liked the system in Fable 2. It made sense to me that I couldn't get better at using magic unless I actually used magic, or couldn't get better at melee unless I fought hand to hand.

6. CardJoe

Awesome little game, that.

7. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

but how will you know when you have levelled up? oh wait...

8. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

I welcome any change to XP. Although this is just taking stats out which make RPG's decent/fun for alot of people.
    Then again i try to welcome change i guess.

Although how did not all players understand XP?
    I really seem to overestimate the average person.
    I must be a god dam genius in todays standards...

9. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Maybe we should have him review the next game. :rolleyes:

10. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Haha, I have actually. But YHTBTR doesn't cost £40 a pop.

11. mjm25

mjm25 What's a Dremel?

much like Portal! although that was ironic.

12. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

If it isn't broke, don't fix it. Taking away health and XP basically kills an important feature in RPGs. I still wonder why I even play video games anymore. It seems like game companies are taking a set back. Games are getting more simplistic, they're short in length & the story is meh. I wonder if the next XBOX will use cartridges?

Someone hit the RESET button so we can go back to the FF7 days............

13. ImInTheZoneBaby

ImInTheZoneBaby Bring it on sucka!

"The absolute main reason is that most people didn't really understand it,"

Experience and health bars have been in games for years and years. It's pretty simple to understand, and even the different colour/type of experience that was in Fable 2 was even explained ingame; where it comes from and how to gain it.

But this new "followers" system.. I'm what I would like to think a "hardcore gamer", and I'm struggling to understand how people following you, or having fans in exchange for experience, makes you stronger?

Uhhh.
    I'm confused with the new system, not the previous.

14. AngusW

AngusW mmm

Peter Molyneux, i've loved some of your game ideas in the past but taking out the experience and health bar is not being progessive. Its dumbing down the game even more than fable 2 which you could die as much as you wanted and just get back up again

15. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

oh please, this is all to help you through the game quicker so you can buy the next POS released. :grr:

16. scarrmrcc

scarrmrcc What's a Dremel?

so every time you get hit... your cataracts get worse?
    the "bad guys" only attack your face?

17. StoneyMahoney

StoneyMahoney What's a Dremel?

Having been a long-time player of RPGs, both digital and the ol' paper/pencil/funny-shaped-dice kind, there have been a few conventions that have always been followed, and much ridiculed. Here goes...

1) I prepared to overcome 3-story tall Giant Bossman Charles Norris with his Armour of Carbotanium and his 12 foot Sword of Instant Decapitation by grinding Wimpy McRetard mobs armed with peashooters for an extra few levels.

2) The fight was quite fun, with Norris' fighting ability completely unaffected by the way we gouged massive lumps of flesh from his legs.

3) Our tank did a fantastic job, standing completely still and insulting Norris over and over again. Norris is just so sensitive under all the armour and blood-paint and necklaces made of the severed heads of his foes, he also stood still and tried to kill this meany in the tin hat while 95% of the pain was inflicted by other people standing behind him.

4) Norris died when our rogue got a glancing blow on him with his dual-wielded feather dusters. Admitted most of the work was done by my continual attempts at evisceration and our mage throwing bolts of raw electricity directly into his brain stem.

5) Norris' death caused the mage to level up, increasing her ability to cast fireballs, conjure food, turn humanoids into sheep, read magic scrolls, pick locks, play the mandolin and do crossword puzzles.

6) We then rifled through Norris' corpse. It contained some armour (all one-size-fits-all-and-both-sexes), some health potions (which he never used), some weapons (which he was too big to pick up with snapping), Norris' severed head (we took one each) and some money (which he never spent having wiled away 100,000 years guarding the highest peak of this castle around the clock without a break in case someone tried to... er... I'm not sure, I didn't read the quest text)

7) Our healer was tired from constantly reattaching the limbs and restoring the blood volume of our tourettes-inflicted meat shield, so he sat down to heal himself by eating some bread. All bread is, of course, made with water from the Fountain of Youth and grain from the Fields of Elysium, so 30 seconds later he was fine.

8) I was also badly hurt, with one eyeball jolted out of it's socket and a deadly poison seeping through my veins for the last twenty minutes. I didn't have any food and our tank wasn't sharing, so I visited the local inn's surgical trauma unit for some while-u-sleep treatment.

9) When I woke up I went to visit the bank to deposit the money that had built up in my purse. There was so much of it they had to open a new vault just to accommodate it all. It could have been a lot worse if my purse didn't automatically change money up into higher denominations.

10) After that I went to unload all the extra equipment I had collected in my backpack from the slain corpses of my foes. The blacksmith gave me a good price for the sword, shield, dagger, 4 quarterstaves, 7 hatchets, 8 ears of wheat, 24 troll loincloths, 63 in-grown toenails, 99 corrupted worm wangs, and 230 broken chair legs. God only knows what he does with that stuff, or how he can afford to buy it all considering that the only weapons he sells are rusted pieces of crap that no-one in their right mind would ever actually use.

18. CardJoe

wat

19. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

im sorry but you are getting rep for that, I lol'd :D

20. ApostleUk

ApostleUk What's a Dremel?

Tags: Add Tags