1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Torrent clients

Discussion in 'Software' started by RedFlames, 18 Oct 2013.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

OMG the T word!

Settle down... I only use torrents for bona fide legal stuff, like downloading Humble Bundle stuff, Linux ISOs and patches for certain games ... mostly ...

Now... BitTorrent/uTorrent seems to have degenerated into an attempted-toolbar-installing ad-strewn mess, and Azureus/Vuze is [still] reliant on Java [which is going nowhere near my PC ever again] so, anyone got any recommendation?

Have used Deluge and qBittorrent in the past [as well as Transmission on linux], but the windows version seem to be quite buggy...

2. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Just don't install the added toolbars :p Also, utorrent has in the advanced options, settings to turn off the adverts in the program itself.

I prefer to use torrents for as much of the humble stuff as possible tbh, that way it makes me feel less bad for them when I assign nearly all the money towards the charities.

3. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

I use uTorrent myself.

Funny, I give 0% to charity and 90% to developers, but I give 10% of my income to charity as it is, so I don't feel bad about it.

I don't want my devs to starve.

4. sniperdude

sniperdude Minimodder

I use U torrent nothing wrong with it as long as you don't install the 3rd party stuff.

5. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

µTorrent is still the best client imho and you can allways choose to not install the 3rd-party stuff.

6. RedFlames

So the general concensus is:

uTorrent/Bittorent [they're the same client now iirc] is still the one to go for... once you've waded through the shite it tries to force upon you and told it all to piss off...

7. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I seldom use torrents, but when I have recently I've used qBittorrent.

It's fairly basic but seems to have all the features I need and I didn't notice any obvious bugs. I used to use uTorrent and I haven't noticed much difference in functionality.

I tend to favour open source software where available, especially when the commercial alternatives are pushing toolbars and other ads/adware. I trust it more.

8. RedFlames

I tried qBittorrent as well as Deluge and a couple other OSS ones, they weren't bad and the bugs/issues weren't life shattering, but there were a few and eventually the added up to me clicking uninstall...

It's a bit like media players... none of them are perfect [for me], it's a case of which one's flaws bug me the least...

9. loftie

loftie Multimodder

10. Cleggmeister

Cleggmeister Of reasonable knowledge...

I use Transmission on my Linux server, not sure how it plays with Windows but recommend it highly to those looking for something to sit on a NAS type box on 24/7.

11. RedFlames

That'd be great if had a nas type thing... which I don't... though on linux Transmission is probably the best option [imo]

12. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

µTorrent is what I use and I'm very happy with it :)

I have noticed there are adds and stuff now, but I don't care, I don't spend anytime looking at the program :p
    Just choose not to install any extra things/uninstall them as soon as it's done.

13. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I have utorrent running on a headless server and I access it using webui, There might be adds etc. driving my server nuts but i never have to see them :)

14. defined

defined Botch-Job

use Ninite to install utorrent, it will do it without selecting the malware crap and you can also automatically install other softwareyou wish to select

15. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Have you given Tixati a try, personally i use the portable version.