1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Dead motherboard?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by mansueto, 30 Oct 2014.

1. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Built a pc for a family friend 1.5 years ago, as of yesterday, it doesn't boot. Powers on, fans barely spin it, than it goes into a cycle of on and off.

Not 100% sure on hardware but from what I recall
    Some dual core intel socket 1150 cpu, probably a G3220 (dual core, 3.0ghz)
    Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H motherboard
    2x4GB Corsair Vengeance ddr3 1600 ram
    128 or 256GB Samsung 840 EVO
    1TB Western digital or seagate HD
    Corsair CX430 power supply
    Cooler Master N200 case

I've stripped it down to just the motherboard, power switch and psu on a anti-static bag and box, still doing the same boot loop. I don't have a spare power supply to test with at this exact moment, I tried with a spare I had that only has a 4 pin, not 8 pin cpu cable, and same thing. I haven't 100% tested the ram, but I tried booting with only 1 of the 2 sticks, and swapping that 1 stick, plus no sticks with no luck. Would it be safe to point at the mobo? It does have a 3 year warranty so at least it'll be simple to RMA it and install the new one without having to re-install windows or anything.

2. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Silly question, but does your motherboard support that CPU without a BIOS update?

Edit: looking at Gigabyte's website, the board supports Haswell Refresh CPUs from BIOS version F12 onwards. The question is: what BIOS version is your board on out of the box?

3. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Tested with another working psu, exact same thing. Tried with no ram, 1 stick of ram, a spare gpu. Still just cycling on and off.

The system has been stable / in use for 1.5 years. Only thing I saw on it was version 1.1. Double checking on the cpu now, my friend found the receipt. I'll update when he lets me know.

CPU is a G3430 processor.

Double edit: System is just under 1 year old, it was ordered and assembled on November 5th. It's either cpu or motherboard so I'll just go with motherboard since cpu's rarely die under normal usage. PC is basically a youtube / microsoft word machine.

Last edited: 30 Oct 2014
  4. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Sorry dude, didn't see that it had been running for a year and a half. Think you can safely ignore my post - sorry.