1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Epic: Crysis will be as good as it gets

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 31 Jul 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I'm willing to bet this is going to be an "eat my own hat" quote. Someone probably said a similar thing with DX9. Like the "3 computer" quote.

Mark Rein is a genius in his own games. But I don't understand why he doesn't promote UE3 rather then Crysis.

3. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

As Joe said in the article...

... I freaking hope so! We're still using bloody 32bit and how long have we been buying 64bit CPUs? Bloody consoles! >.<

4. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

If DX10 doesn't take off, then surely that will spell the end of the GPU race. There won't be any need to develop faster and more complicated GPUs as they will set there mostly unutilised.

Even if game interfaces are "dumbed down" for consoles, people will still want the spangly graphics and wizzy effects. In fact, there are a large number of games that seem to get by on that alone!

DX10 seems to have been a bit of a slow starter, but given the large number of games that are due out later in the year, I reckon it'll be picking up pace pretty quickly :)

5. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I think Crysis will be the best looking game this year, but not for the next 5 years. It also depends on what you think is a "good looking" game, as well as the type of game. I thought C&C Generals was a good looking game, but its an RTS, but im sure there was some one else who thought there was a better looking game, which might have been a FPS, its all down to personal opinion at the end of the day.

Sam

6. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Consoles have been 64-bit for longer then PC's. GPUs have been 128bit aswell.

7. Vergil_117

Vergil_117 What's a Dremel?

People listen to mark today? I remember when everyone booed and dissed him for his idiotic remarks.

8. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I don't think he's right, I think developers will always be looking to continue to out-do each other in terms of graphics and looks of games. Also remember that even though the technology in a console is fixed, games do get better looking graphically as time goes on during a console's life, and the developers get better at cramming better graphics into the same internals. In much the same way films, even after a hundred years, are still striving for better effects, so too will games.

9. msm722

msm722 What's a Dremel?

I wonder what the UT4 engine (2 years into development) will bring, if mark rein thinks this.

10. Hells_Bliss

Hells_Bliss What's a Dremel?

I'd like to see 64 bit games, and crysis does have amazing graphics, so I wouldn't be sad if they started using the crysis engine, or a similar level of graphics in computer games, especially if they start using the time to optimize their code and stop releasing crappy products for the PC.

I don't see software makers blocking themselves into just dx10 games just yet, since it only runs on Vista, and vista hasn't really been adopted yet by the majority of consumers. They're out to make money too :)

F T W is blocked? lol i can't type sof.t.w.are anymore? :D

11. revlob

revlob What's a Dremel?

Executive-type in "our game is the best" shocker.

But seriously, he does have a point. There's not much to stand in the way of the progression of technology, and the potential to create better-looking games, but it's getting more and more expensive and risky to develop games with cutting-edge visuals.

12. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

Honestly, check out what the MGS4 gameplay demo looks like and you'll see that the next-gen games on the console (or the PS3 atleast) will look superior to what's currently available on the PC....but once Crysis debuts and consumers see the the reason to buy the hardware, and then game developers see that the hardware is selling then DX10 will go mainstream and GPUs will continue to progress and we the PC gamers will be up to our heads in graphical prowess, and Mr. Rein's quote will be splat all across the forums....

P.S. I like Joe's statement about Project Offset....I mean just look at that game....Crysis won't last long at the top...but it will be the best for a good while....

Last edited: 31 Jul 2007
  13. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

With AMD, Nvidia and Microsoft pushing DX10 of course it will take off.

14. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

We agree again! What happened to our constant PS3 arguements?!

15. naokaji

naokaji whatever

how much did sony pay him? honestly.... that stuff sounds like its coming directly from ps3 marketing department....

16. Vergil_117

Vergil_117 What's a Dremel?

everyone forgets alan wake (I find that game 10 times better looking than crysis, one reason being the massive draw distances, and it actully looking "real" and not as if it were a video game)

17. devdevil85

How about they sold me on their console's abilities and then MGS4's graphics! Seriously, I'm getting tired of being called a fanboy when I'm just a guy who loves innovation and who will never own a console in his life (other than the Wii).....not to be mean, but seriously stfu and stop referring me to that....I mean to be completely truthful you might as well just call me an overly fanatic PC fanboy because I'm more crazy for DX10 & Crysis/Project Offset.......

/\...as you can see I'm getting tired of it...also Joe there are multiple things that we have in common, and tbh as long as you respect the PS3 as a console and not because of Sony's mistakes or it's crazy pricetag, I'm fine with it...because even if the PS3 was the greatest thing since sliced bread, the games are what matters and if the games are lacking, either in the gameplay, graphical or innovative levels, I would NOT buy one...so...I hope that explains my perception on it...

Last edited: 31 Jul 2007
  18. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

@DevDevil

Sorry to rile you up - was only poking fun a little and didn't mean to cause offense

19. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Is he crazy? Can he not see the massive amount of new titles coming this fall?

20. devdevil85

Joe you're fine man, it's the guy above that I can't stand...

Tags: Add Tags