1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling EK Spin Res - Impeller Rattle!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bdigital, 1 Jul 2011.

1. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Hey all, does anyone else here use an EK spin res?

Ive just set up my loop for leak testing and the damn impeller has a rattle to it!! Is there anyway to sort this without bleeding the loop and starting again?

thanks

2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I've never used one so am guessing. Is the impeller covered with water and have all the bubbles/air been bled out? If yes then either request RMA or remove it. It could just be the impeller mounting hole so you might get a new impeller from EK through a support ticket. If it's the spindle it hangs on you may need to RMA the whole thing.

3. bdigital

Ive seen these on scan, but dont know if that will solve it.

If you watch closely you can see where it is bigger than the spindle, so it moves around and 'Chatters'.

Its been running for about 4 hours now (leak testing). Looks like i might have to drain it either way :(

EDIT: Do you reckon that it could be ive filled it up too much? Just thinking it might not be going as fast as it should. The res is full to the top.

Last edited: 2 Jul 2011
  4. Big Elf

I always make sure there's a bit of air space at the top of the res. I know water expands very slightly as it gets warmer but I don't know how much. I don't think filling it too much would cause it to rattle though or affect the flow rate.

5. bdigital

Il try emptying just a bit of water, see if it helps.

I was hoping someone with an EK spin res would of had the same problem and solved it somehow.

Should i 'bleed' the loop by running with the fill cap unplugged? Ive not done that yet.

6. Big Elf

Although I generally bleed the loop with the fill cap off it doesn't actually to seem to make much difference either way. I have found though that bleeding with it on then releasing it often causes excess air to come out.

I look up water expansion since I posted that and it's apparently negligible.

7. bdigital

Ive finally ordered up another impellor from scan.

Although this one fits much much better, it still rattles slightly and is enough to drive me nuts!!!

Does anyone else here have am EK spin res? I would like to know if they all do it??

8. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

What pump are you using?

9. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I think it's 11% from freezing point to boiling

I don't have a cure for your prob Bob, but I've know a lot of people have had the same thing, there have been at least 3 posts on here in the past, that I remember, so it's quite common.

10. Big Elf

Is it possible to add a nylon washer or 2 to reduce the wobbling? I've got some 1mm thick M3 & M4 washers if you want to try it out.

11. bdigital

hmm. Do you mean to stick them to the impellor somehow? Or just seat them on the spindle to reduce the horizontal movement?

The thing is........ The new impellers were the opposite of the old one. The circle was so small is was an extreme struggle to fit on the spindle, so i lightly filed it down until it wasnt so much of snug fit.

This seemed to work for about an hour......But then it started rattlling again, so im starting to think that maybe i shouldnt have touched it! - I just cant see how the water would of been powerful enough to move it as it was tooooo tight.

12. Big Elf

Why don't you just remove it?

13. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Because he's a hardware tart...lol

Bob, bash it with a big hammer and the chuck it down a flight of concrete stairs. If it still rattles after that I'd leave it alone because it's libel to bit back.

14. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I'd try turning down the pump a bit first, the speed of the flow its creating turbulence and shaking it. Turn down the pump, reduce the turbulence, stop the rattling :)

15. bdigital

Thanks for the suggestions guys... even the funny ones :)

I dont fancy turning the pump down (not sure that i can anyway) because im having problems with my CPU temps, and i dont want to make them any worse!

I think my next step is oing to drain the res (again) and try one of the other impellors in the pack - This time leaving it snug to the spindle.

I will test to see if it loosens up and spin, and see if it rattles or not.

If it does. Then il take it out and be done with it lol. Shame though because like jeff said im a hardware tart and it looks good!!

16. Big Elf

If you want to try the nylon washers pm me with your details. You could wait until you've got them before draining the loop again.

Edit: Forgot I have your details already, do you want me to send 5 or so of each size?

17. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

What's wrong with your temps?

18. bdigital

that would be really helpful elf thank you

19. bdigital

Il be posting up a thread with my idle and load temps once ive recorded them properly. But basically im idling around 45c and hitting 70 while gaming on an i7 950 at 3.6ghz

20. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

What rad are you using? And waterblocks?